We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forums for the past few months & enjoyed viewing endless photo's (Thanks Arandora) & trying to get my bearings I have even driven along the road on google maps. We are now only 4 weeks away from departure & need to ask a few questions.

After the last 8 years flying west we will soon be heading East on the Dreamliner to Phuket.

We did quite a bit of research looking into booking under our own steam etc but also having never been to Thailand & unsure of where to go we decided for our first time to book a package deal it actually worked out cheaper too than booking independently.

So we are off to the JW Marriott for 2 weeks which seems to get very good reviews on here.

I have a few questions though that I can't find photo's or answers to.

We haven't booked a swim up room (the older I get early 50's now) the more of a babe magnet

I become for mosquito's especially if there is any water nearby so we always opt for a top floor room & also I prefer to sleep with the patio doors ajar & fresh air rather than air con.

Has anyone any recommendations for 3rd floor/top floor rooms or a particular building, a view of the pools & sea would be nice & away from the children's swimming pools before I e-mail the hotel with a room request

What type of power sockets are in the rooms is it European round pin or USA type flat pins & is it 110 or 240 volt.

Is there a safe in the room to lock away laptop personal belonging's passport etc. I'm hoping too that we can get away without carrying our passport around & just take a few scans with us.

I would hate to leave my passport in a bag at a beach chair etc while we are off swimming in the sea.

Are there places nearby where we could buy an inflatable or a boogie board (not sure whether we will be getting calm sea or surf sea) or should we try to buy here & travel with it.

We hope to do some trips while we are there hopefully the speed boat trip & snorkelling to Simillan Islands. (I gather there would be no point having any snorkelling gear for swimming off the beaches at Marriott or along the coast line).

The James Bond Island day trip & also would love to have a trek on an Elephant.

Thomson have already sent me trips we can book & with our experience of Thomson we will also get the sell once we arrive. I have read we will be able to book cheaper once there but would we be better booking near the Marriott or getting the shuttle into town to book.

We would also like to pay for these trips with a Kalixa pre-pay mastercard would the restaurants on the beach accept this for trips?

We will be bringing cash to change for everyday spending for eating drinking shopping etc.

How will the rate at the airport compare to buying a few baht here. I am just worried about arriving & not being able to tip the driver of the taxi transfer Thomson use & the bell boy who takes the luggage to the room etc or even where we will be able to change money on our first day.

Is the airport kiosk in arrivals? We don't want to use atm's if it can be helped.

We like to walk the beach too will the boatyard & white sands be in walking distance from the Marriott.

I did read that Marriott have cycles too is it just a route in hotel grounds you can use them or would we be able to cycle a bit further afield.

We won't entertain mopeds whilst I had a lot of experience in my youth my husband did not & I certainly won't want him as a pillion passenger or worse still me as a pillion. We are looking at getting an IDP just in case we decide a hire car would be nice for a few days. At around £8 It won't break the bank if we don't use it.

I think that is about all for now.

Many Thanks

CalamityJane

Mentioned in this post
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,197 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin. LOL

* Has anyone any recommendations for 3rd floor/top floor rooms or a particular building - See map of resort at …walagata.com/w/arandora/JWM_Site_Plan.pdf

The family wing and children's pool are in Block 2 so Block 1 top floor nearest the ocean are best. All rooms face inwards so side sea view. The sun sets over the ocean passes around behind the left of Block 1 so it depends which side you want your balcony with shade or full sun.

*What type of power sockets are in the rooms is it European round pin - Yes, 220 volt. Hotel has adaptors too.

* Is there a safe in the room to lock away laptop personal belonging's passport etc - Yes in the wardrobe. I'm hoping too that we can get away without carrying our passport around & just take a few scans with us - recommended. You should only need your passports at check in and at the bank if you were to cash travellers cheques (cheaper to cash than ATMs and safer than cash but only Sterling American Express ones)

* Are there places nearby where we could buy an inflatable or a boogie board - I think the JWM provide some at the beach as do local restaurants if you stay around them for meals/drinks/use their free loungers. Plenty available in local shops in Bang Niang and Bang La On and on the way at shop on the left in front of Khuk Khak Bus Station.

*We hope to do some trips while we are there hopefully the speed boat trip & snorkelling to Similan Islands. (I gather there would be no point having any snorkelling gear for swimming off the beaches at Marriott or along the coast line). - nothing worthwhile from the beach and gear is provided on trips.

Tour prices from Thompson beforehand/rep when you arrive/ hotel will all be dearer than from tour shops on the street in Bang Niang and Bang La On and some of beach restaurants sell them. Best to shop around as prices are very competitive.

* We would also like to pay for these trips with a Kalixa pre-pay mastercard would the restaurants on the beach accept this for trips? - No. Khao Lak is very much a cash economy.Credit cards are only accepted at hotels to settle bills and large tour agencies not in local restaurants on beach or in town or local shops.

* We will be bringing cash to change for everyday spending for eating drinking shopping etc. - don't exchange any cash in UK. Better rates in Thailand. Avoid the TMB ATM at the airport if you can in favour of exchange desk if open but for immediate expenses the loss will be marginal. Tipping is not expected in Khao Lak but of course not refused. 50 baht should be OK for taxi driver (but he will have been paid already if pre-booked) and for bell boys. The exception is masseurs in beach massage places as they rent their beds and most of the fee goes to the owner. 100 baht is what we tip.

* Where will we be able to change money on our first day - there is an ATM near the exit to the car park and a money changer in the plaza outside the main entrance albeit money exchanges attached to a bank (all branches are in Bang La On) usually give better rates than private money changers. Please be aware that Mastercard is not as popular in Thailand as Visa and there is an ATM charge for cash withdrawals of 150 baht for Visa but 180 baht for Mastercard per withdrawal plus your bank charges.

We like to walk the beach too will the boatyard & white sands be in walking distance from the Marriott. - yes, but a very long (45 - 60 mins), tiring in the direct sun and tricky when you cross over on to the top end of Pak Web Beach across Cape Pakarang. Much more enjoyable to get a cheapish taxi from outside main gate to the Boatyard and back and enjoy the walk between there and to White Sand Beach and perhaps beyond around the headland to the next stretch.

* I did read that Marriott have cycles too is it just a route in hotel grounds you can use them or would we be able to cycle a bit further afield.- as far as I'm aware you can go anywhere (within reason) on them.

*We are looking at getting an IDP just in case we decide a hire car would be nice for a few days.- Absolutely essential as indicated in the FAQ on Licence Requirements on the right. For one day or so the rate the hotel will get you will not be too bad.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,169 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott

* Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin. LOL - I'm a Yorkshire lass I like to talk,

or at least my excuse is I'm sociable ;-)

Thanks for answering all my questions. I have e-mailed the hotel with a room request although it came back

as it goes to Marriott (umbrella) rather than direct to Marriott Khao Lak. I have now resent using another e-mail I found.

We will take our chance with using the Kalixa debit card to pay for trips I read on a couple of the tour companies sites ie: Khao Lak land discovery that you can pay via paypal we can link the card to paypal so hopefully it should work that way or if needs be we can use it at an atm to draw more cash rather than use our Barclays debit & credit cards. We used it last year for our holiday & it worked brilliantly. There are no overseas charges except for a fixed price atm withdrawal. Kalixa e-mail you within minutes of using it with any transaction made & where & cost etc. The daily rate is good too todays being 49.8 baht which doesn't seem too bad.

Thanks again for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott

Khao Lak Land Discovery was one of the larger agencies I mentioned. However, although they use tours of their own, they also book other tours that are offered at more competitive prices at local tour kiosks/shops which should appeal to you as a good Yorkshire lass ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott

Another question.

I let my husband go to the bank :(

Will we have a problem changing £50 notes out there or do I need to visit the bank again

& get them changed to smaller notes here?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Marriott

£50 notes are fine so long as they are new or nearly new and unmarked.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JW Marriott

Thanks, one less thing to stress about.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JW Marriott

Don't stress, you'll be there soon and it will be wonderful! Have a good trip.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JW Marriott

JW Marriott Khao Lak:

BAD THINGS

Too Big

Scruffy tired and dirty rooms

Could have been any other big hotel anywhere else in the world

Food & Drinks ridiculously expensive

Poor Impersonal non Thai like welcome

GOOD THINGS

Nice beach

Close to lots of lovely authentic beach shack restaurants where you can meet real Thai people and experience the real beautiful Thai hospitality.

Other than the nearby beach scene I would never recommend this overpriced monstrosity.

Mentioned in this post
JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Khao Lak...
3,856 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JW Marriott

Each to his own. :-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JW Marriott

Thanks Emma,

Once we are on our way later today I will be swapping one type of stress for another, we are

going to see Gravity this evening. :-) See you in a few days you too have a safe trip.

Arandora totally agree "Each to his own. :-)"

Essex mike. I am glad I have done my own homework.

I have never read about or seen any photos of Scruffy tired and dirty rooms.

Just like the Caribbean I am sure wear & tear on the larger hotels in Thailand are affected

after a wet monsoon or (hurricane season). It's normal & acceptable. What isn't acceptable

Is dirty unclean rooms & I have never once read anywhere that the hotel is dirty & unclean.

I see it is over 18 months since you stayed there so I would be interested if you'd share where you found your recent information "Scruffy tired and dirty rooms".

Our booking is with Thomson too. At the time when we booked after following all the recommendations on here on how & where to book it came out cheaper as a package with Thomson than booking independently

flights & the hotel through booking .com.

We could have saved £300 had I played the waiting game with Thomson which I usually do, but as

this is a new route for Thomson on the dreamliner I had no idea how well the holidays would sell.

As for Thomson turning it into a Magaluf I very much doubt it.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak