We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Melbourne
4 posts
1 review
Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Hi guys

We will be staying in khao lak for a week in December. We chose it because it has better and quieter beaches. We know the downside is the lack of nightlife entertainment. I was just wondering if it was realistic for us to think we can travel to patong at night to have fun and return back to khao lak. I know the trip would be around 1.5 hours each way. But would Taxis travel that distance at night? Do people generally do that?

I know it's a strange question but would appreciate people's input on this.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Hi Boo

You are probably looking at closer to 2 hours each way depending on where you are staying in KL. Plus you are probably looking at 1800-2000 each way. You might be best to do a deal with Boss, or someone local to Khao Lak to have the driver wait for you in Patong. A taxi back to Khao Lak from Patong late at night could be any price!! Maybe book one less night in KL and spend your last night somewhere on Phuket.

Melbourne
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Thanks Tezzat, WOW 2 hours, i think its going to happen that way, we thought maybe for 1 or 2 nights we can head down because we may have some friends who will be in phuket during the same time. I have emailed Boss to see if he can assist with an indication on whats possible and the cost.

We did think about staying a night or so in patong, but the beach was more important to us than the night life which is why we chose khao lak. We shall see.

But thanks for your comments.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Why not just spend a couple of nights in a hotel in Patong for the contrast? There are some quieter beaches in Phuket that you could go to during the day.

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Hi

Yes it is easily a 2 - 2.5hr trip. I would probably extend your trip a few days if you can to stay in Patong a few nights.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Why not do Phuket at the beginning of your trip. You will appreciate Khao Lak all the more when you get there! ;-)

Melbourne
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

Thanks Guys, We decided to stay in Khao Lak, unfortunately extending or changing our accommodation is not quite possible being so close to Christmas and our limited time. So we will stay at Khao Lak and see how we go.. Currently our rush hour trips to work at 1.5hrs each way (every day) so maybe a trip down to Patong wont feel that long. LOL.. but i think we may give it a miss this time.

Thanks again for the advise.

7. Re: Is it realistic to travel to patong from khao lak at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 11:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak