We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pondering thai food

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
pondering thai food

this christmas we are going to visit thailand generally and khao lak in particular for the very first time and i was wondering what the best way was to help us find our way around thai food. my husband likes spicy things, the hotter the better, so he shouldn't have any problems really, but i'm a bit more cautious. i am aware that the food has been dumbed down to suit the european pallette.

the problem i am having really is that i know it's very easy to get non spicy food, but i'm a foodie and have been practicing this last year with getting used to more spicy food. we have been adding chillies to our dishes, not that many admittedly and i'm still not really that keen on very hot food as i find i miss out on other the more subtle flavours .

is there anywhere you might be able to recommend, where we can go to be able to try the different dishes without going down the very hot route so to speak.

i read the wonderful trip report by sandemac. it brought the whole holiday alive for us and i was especially interested in experiences the kha niau, but it now looks like it might not be open. this would have been perfect as i read that northern thai food is generally milder than southern and the chap who runs it is german and we would be able to communicate.

we are staying at the lah own resort, but will be having a car for at least 2 weeks, so can travel.

thanks in advance.

angela

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pondering thai food

Hi

Most people think Thai food must be hot and all very dishes have chillies and spices in it. But is not true many and I mean many dishes have no spices or chillies at all.

It is true that some certain southern cuisines are very hot. Not very dishes of northern cuisines are mild ( believe me I'm a northern girl).

There some Thai food that mild the like of

Tom Kha ( coconut soup )

Pad Thai, Pad see eaw

Fried rice

Stir fried vegetable with meat

Sweet and sour

Garlic and pepper meat of your choice

Steam fish with dipping sauce

Fish or prawn with tamarind sauce

Theses are just a few.

Happy eating

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pondering thai food

Apologies for some spelling. Some of the words should have read " every " NOT " very "

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pondering thai food

Some of the restaurants in the main areas may seem "dumbed down" but that is not the case, they are mainly the longer established ones who have greater experience with western palettes. When you first arrive you just be cautious and ask is the dish spicy. The server will usually advise or take note that you don't want it spicy. Your husband should ask for "Phet, pronounced "pet"for spicy, Phet Phet for very spicy and if he is brave enough "Thai Style" ! LOL Although most of the restaurants serve similar southern Thailand dishes, there are some serving regional cuisine from the north which tends to be naturally more spicy. The most notable of these are Hill Tribes (Chiang Mai based cuisine), Dao Thong (Chiang Rai based cuisine) both on the highway same side as the Police Boat in Bang Niang, the Khao Niau (Isan [northern] relocated down the Bang Niang beach road from the 711, the Muan Lai (Isan) perched near the top of the highway going back over the mountain from Bang La On with the best views of the northern Khao Lak coastline. Papaya Pok Pok, spicy papaya salad with various ingredients is a very popular and delicious Isan dish.

Having your car you will have the flexibility to go to restaurants on the beach, such as the Boatyard on Pak Weeb Beach, where giant tiger prawns (order in advance) in garlic and black pepper are a particular favourite of ours and many others. Here's a pic of that dish to whet your appetite www.walagata.com/view.php?file=IMG_1022_0.JPG and one of chicken fried rice in half a pineapple www.walagata.com/view.php… and spicy squid salad www.walagata.com/view.php… and this is the Boatyard www.walagata.com/view.php…

For a special meal with a unique menu in a unique setting try the Sun Ray Restaurant in Khuk Khak. Go north along the highway through Bang Niang and past the Khuk Khak bus station and market behind the shops on the right and you will see a sign on the left for the Orchid Resort and the Blue Lagoon Resort. Follow that road down keeping left at a fork until you reach a T-Junction. Turn right and 50 metres or so on the left is the Sun Ray. There is parking just before it. This just some of the hand made and painted interior of the talented owner/chefs Nop and Yui www.walagata.com/view.php?file=P1070304_0.JPG

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Papaya
Papaya
612 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pondering thai food

Those links don't work do they? So I'll post them again tomorrow when we get home.

5. Re: pondering thai food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 01:05
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pondering thai food

thanks everyone for all your considered replies.

sweet pea i will make a note of those dishes and arandora those recommendations are tremendous, i'm positively salivating over those tiger prawns.

oh and i do like to try some spicyish dishes, maybe just dip my toe in the water so to speak, i guess it's to do what you are used to.

not long now :)

all the best.

angela

Edited: 10 November 2013, 14:58
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pondering thai food

Hi

Just dive in don't worry LOL

Thailand is a large country and has different flavors and taste and spice from each area. Issan seems to be the hottest and Chiang Mai the the least

spice should be added for flavor not heat. thai spice seems to have more flavor than say mexican chiles.

you won't find salt but use fish sauce for your salty flavor there. at food stalls each has it's own sauce condiment tray specific for the food they are serving

you can also get some great curry's and noodle soups.

like I tell everyone practice at home go to your local or favorite thai restuarant tell them you are going to

thailand and ask them what you should eat and try before you go.

If your husband likes heat then have him try Som tum"cold Pappaya salad "made on the street from a true Issan

I never touch it too hot for me

Edited: 10 November 2013, 15:18
Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
warwickshire
Level Contributor
458 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pondering thai food

If my memory serves me right, is it "my pet" for not hot?

I remember our first Green Thai Curry on arrival in Bangkok. It nearly blew my head off!! I soon learnt to ask for not hot!!! I do like a little bite but not painful to eat, so in KL, would "my pet" be too mild?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pondering thai food

"Mai phet" same, same as "Mu Pet" is mild or not spicy.

Here are links to pics, working now I hope!

* Tiger prawns with garlic and black peeper file.walagata.com/w/arandora/IMG_1022_0.JPG

* Chicken in pineapple …walagata.com/w/…Khao_Lak_2008_882-400.jpg

* Spicy squid salad …walagata.com/w/…Khao_Lak_2008_885-400.jpg

* Boatyard Restaurant …walagata.com/w/…Khao_Lak_2008_886-400.jpg

* Sun Ray Restaurant file.walagata.com/w/arandora/P1070304_0.JPG

* Fun food at Sun Ray …walagata.com/w/arandora/Nop_Funny_Food.jpg

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pondering thai food

great photos arandora, the tiger prawns certainly look yummy.

yes i agree that's exactly it shakespearestarr a bit of a bite is perfect, having my mouth on fire - not a lot of fun.

many thx to all this has been really helpful and i will look forward to trying out all those delicious flavours.

angela