We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

We're off to Thailand for 1 week early December for the first time after months and months of research

We want luxury and pampering in a well equipped resort, Scenery and a nice beach within a reasonable distance to to the hustle and bustle.

More importantly we want to experience the culture, markets, sea food restaurants, animals, sight seeing, excursions...etc

We have discounted numerous resorts elsewhere in the world because they are all "fake" there was no culture, just a bland shiny resort

We have found two deals with the JW Marriott Khao Lak & Renaissance Phuket (both B&B)

We would like some advice on which to choose based on our priorities

This is how I see the pros and cons

JW Marriott Khao Lak

*Large pool

*More restaurants

*Calmer beach

*Far from town

Renaissance Phuket

*Closer to town

*Newer property

*Rough beach

Some advice on Restaurants would be great too (B&B)

Thanks everyone !

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

I can't comment much on the Renaissance but in relation to the JWM and your assessment of it:

*Large pool - one of the largest in S E Asia which you can get to particularly from the Pool Access Rooms from the "river" that surrounds the two blocks and also leads to the two swim up bars.

*More restaurants - the resort itself has a Mina international restaurant plus three others, two of which are speciality ones as well as a Coffee Shop/snack bar. In addition there is one restaurant immediately to the left on the beach and a row of six or seven more and massage places immediately to the right plus two or three more in the small shopping plaza outside the main entrance.

*Calmer beach - the JWM is located on one of the widest stretches of the beautiful Khuk Khak Beach which is generally calm at that point but there can be periods of quite exciting rollers particularly around Full Moon and high tide times.

Here are pics from our stay at the JWM in a pool access room last April https:/…

and of Khuk Khak Beach between November 2012 and April 2013 https:/…

*Far from town - the JWM is only 10-15 minutes by shuttle or taxi to the main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On where most restaurants, shops and bars can be fund. There is a 3 afternoons a week market in Bang Niang on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Have a look at this recent topic for links to albums of the popular tours from Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… There are more ideas in the FAQs on the left as well as members views on restaurants.

I can make these points about the Renaissance though:

*Closer to town - not at all. Mai Kao Beach where the property is located is te furthest north from Phuket Airport just before you leave the island and if you regard Patong or Phuket Town as "town" they are 45 minutes to an hour south, depending on traffic. There are only a few local restaurants nearby and the shopping plaza shared by the resorts there.

*Newer property - agreed

*Rough beach - certainly not as nice as Khuk Khak or IMO any of the 25km of beaches that comprise Khao Lak.

I hope this helps make your decision in favour of Khao Lak.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

Thank you that is very informative

I can only hope that someone here has actually stayed at both

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

Have you posted a similar topic on the Phuket Forum?

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

I think I have by mistake

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

It wouldn't be a mistake to post on the Phuket forum, you might get the answer you want from there.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

Renaissance hands down if you're a marriott platinum... the service and attention is out of this world. I have stayed at both, and going back and splitting my time between the two - Khao Lak is more laid back, and there's great and very quiet local beach bars/food you can walk to which is a plus. in Phuket with the Renaissance, you need to rely on taxis to go everywhere but there's a bit more to do if you venture south of the resort to check out other beaches, etc. i found the service well above and beyond at the Renaissance and will continue to have that be my first choice in Phuket.

7. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak OR Renaissance Phuket :S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations