We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

Im reading reviews about good restaurants on the beach very close to the JW hotel

This suggests that the public can access the beach

Does the hotel have a private beach ? or are the restaurants on adjacent beaches?

Thanks again

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

ALL beaches in Thailand are public. Those that claim to be private is because they are usually in secluded or far flung areas with few non-guest visitors. The nearby restaurants are popular places for visitors, like us, who can spend the day there on free loungers and enjoy meals, drink, the beautiful scenery and dip in the ocean as well as walking along Khuk Khak and across on to neighbouring Pakarang Beach. The area at the JWM though is reserved for JWM guests only with cold drinks available at the beach and staff regularly coming around with cold water, towels and fresh fruit. Many guests enjoy the neighbouring restaurants and massage places, especially the much more affordable prices. We regard Ma Ma Greetings, the last restaurant to the right where we spend 2 or 3 days a week during our 5 months in Khao Lak and where we have our Xmas Lunch as being one of the best Thai kitchens in Khao Lak.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

Thats interesting

From your experience what id a really good Seafood restaurant in the area?

And should I really bother with upgrading my board to breakfast and dinner at the hotel?

We are quite excited about exploring restaurants but would appreciate it if we knew how much to expect to pay on average

Thanks again Arandora

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

All of the adjacent restaurants and most throughout Khao Lak serve fresh seafood at prices far less than in resort restaurants. Settings are simple but the fabulous views, especially for a sunset dinner with a full fresh fish cooked in a variety of ways or huge tiger prawns (better value and taste IMO to lobster) for instance. Beverages outside the hotel are much cheaper too. Local prices: typical starter 80- 120 baht; main, curry, stir fry etc with chicken, beef, pork, prawns, veggie100 - 150 baht; full fish (white or red snapper, barracuda steak); tiger prawns by weight and number about 200 - 500 baht; small beer 80 - 100 baht, large 80 - 120 baht; glass of wine 100 - 150 baht (or take your own bottle).

I certainly wouldn't go half-board not only for the price but because there are so many different wonderful settings to enjoy wonderful food. Why restrict yourself to one place?

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

Totally agree

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
654 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

I was proud to spend about £5 during my entire stay at the Marriott and that was for two cans of Pepsi Max from the Swim up bar (rip off).

I spent my money on food and drinks from the locals running the fantastic beach restaurants.

Mama's, Phens and Blue Mist were our favourites.

6. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak beach is it private?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 09:48