We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

South Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
31 reviews
Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

We have just arrived home from our first visit to Khao Lak. We spent 6 nights at Nang Thong Bay Resort which was wonderful, we had a family room with 2 huge bedrooms and a massive bathroom, 2 tvs (altho we didn't need them), 2 fridges and it was only $55AUD/night. The resort was also happy to let us have the room until 3pm on the day we left with no additional charge. Unbelievable for the price. As it was off season there weren't many people around, most of the time we had the pool to ourselves.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Spent a lot of days at White Sand Beach which was gorgeous, although like the entire area the water is not crystal clear. We often went there in the morning for breakfast and the lady at the Goon & Gib Restaurant would make us banana pancakes. Although they don't have a breakfast menu they are happy to cook up whatever you ask for. Great food, we ate there a fair bit for both breakfast and lunch.

We tried lots of restaurants in Khao Lak and must say we didn't have a bad meal. Stand outs were Tiffys Café for breakfast and great ice cold beer at lunch time, Sala Thai which had fabulous food, terrible service but the food made up for it, Smile Restaurant which was amazing altho a bit more upmarket so tiny bit pricier and smaller meals but great for something a bit more special. The restaurant at Nang Thong Bay Resort was great too and right on the beach.

Nothing can beat the banana pancake lady who sets up in front of the taxi stand across from Nang Thong Bay Supermarket, I believe it is entirely her fault that I have come home with my clothes feeling much more snug than when I left!

My husband had a suit and some shirts made at The Best Tailors. Krishna and his brother did a great job and we would highly recommend them. They are located on the road that heads down to Nang Thong Bay and Nang Thong Beach Resorts.

We were originally a bit disappointed in the beach in front of Nang Thong Bay Resort, in the mornings when the tide was high there was a lot of rubbish and made swimming pretty undesirable. After a few days tho we worked out later in the afternoon when the tide was low there were fantastic waves for boogie boarding (bought a board cheap in town) and although the water is really rough we had some great times catching the waves without having to go very deep at all. Not sure whether the beach gets cleaned during the day or whether the tide just takes all the rubbish out to sea but by mid afternoon there was no rubbish at all. We have two young girls (11 and 9) and there's no way I would let them out any deeper than their waist, the water there is just way too rough, possibly just because of the time of the year we were there but still plenty of fun to be had in the shallows.

We went to Khao Lak Elephant Camp and this is the only downside we had to our holiday. I really wish I had researched this before we left. Looking on trip advisor now there seems to be several other elephant experiences which look much better. My youngest daughter loved it but the whole set up seemed pretty touristy with a monkey show as well. The cages the monkeys were kept in were so small and without being able to substantiate this we just got the feeling the well being of the elephants wasn't really a priority over the money making side of the business.

This is our third trip to Thailand, we have also travelled extensively through the Pacific and we totally loved Khao Lak. Would go back today if we could.

Many thanks to everyone who gave us advice before we went. Don't know what I would do without Trip Advisor!

cheers Kate

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
504 posts
183 reviews
1. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Thanks for sharing katelucy.

You have just made up my mind...I was trying to decide whether to spend our whole time in Karon (22 nights) or spend 8 nights at the end of our holiday in Khao Lak...Khao Lak it is! We will be staying at the Ramada, as we need 2 interconnecting rooms for our family of 7 (and a kids club!).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
736 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Hi Katelucy,

Have to agree with everything you wrote, i have just submitted my review of NTBR 1 & we also loved it, we left there on the 14th so must have just missed you.

Those pancakes sure do get you.

Cheers

Rob & Di.

South Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Hi Sonlou73,

We went for a walk through the Ramada, its right next to Nang Thong Bay Resort and it looked lovely. I would email NTB1 and see if they do interconnecting rooms for you, we were so impressed with it and was so cheap that could be an option too, although no kids club. Wow 22 nights...lucky you!

Rob & Di yes we checked in on the 18th so just missed you! Still dreaming of those pancakes!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
4. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Thanks for your report and glad you enjoyed Khao Lak and not surprised your clothes were a bit more tighter than when you arrived those pancakes are like a drug :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Hi Katelucy,

Glad you enjoyed Khao Lak and not at all surprised about the pancakes.

A bit surprised though about your comment "We went for a walk through the Ramada, its right next to Nang Thong Bay Resort.. " since the NTBR1 is on Nang Thong Beach and the Ramada is at least 1km north on Bang Niang Beach. It is a lovely resort though. Perhaps you meant the Centara Seaview next to NTBR1?

South Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Oops sorry everyone, yes guess you are right Arandora and it was Centara not Ramada we walked thru! I think my brain is a bit fuzzy due to lack of banana pancakes!

Albany. WA
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Hi All

This sounds a very dumb question- What is the difference between NTBR 1 & 2? and the distance between the two of them.

we are looking to visit on our next trip to Phuket. Khoa Lak looks the goods to finish our holiday with a 4 days of pure R&R

Thanks

Trevor

South Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Hi there,

We originally booked into NTB2 but we had booked a beach front bungalow with 2 extra beds. Our fault entirely but the room was way too small, couldn't swing a cat in there so we moved to NTB1 because NTB2 didn't have any family rooms available. We also had quite a few big cockroaches in the room at NTB2, maybe because the door had been left open while cleaning or something. The bungalow seemed clean but we didn't get cochroaches inside anywhere else and this sort of put us off a bit. The staff at reception were so nice when we explained we wanted to switch resorts, they were very apologetic and organised us to be transferred very quickly. NTB2 looked a bit smaller but they seemed very similar otherwise. I think if I had to choose I would pick NTB1 because the restaurant is on the beach and I really liked the pool area but they within walking distance so you could still dine at NTB1 if you stayed at NTB2. Cheers Kate

Mumbai
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Hi katelucy_9,

You comment on NTBR 2 on small beach side rooms put me a fix. I have booked beach side bungalows for January-13. Should i look elsewhere.

Arandora. Whats your opinion.

Cheers

Ajay

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Just got home...wanting to share our experience!

Sorry Ajay, I don't know them that well.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak