We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Hills - how long?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
Elephant Hills - how long?

I am coming to Khao Lak in early January with my 7 and 9 year old. We are interested in staying at Elephant Hills camp, and trying to decide whether we do all 3 nights at the tented camp, or one night there and 2 nights at the floating rafthouses at the rainforest camp. Also, is the expense worth it, or should we be considering treehouse accommodation in the area with similar tours for a lot less money?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Elephant Hills - how long?

lenty of information on Khao Sok in general and after a Search for Elephant Hills in particular onthe Khao Sok Forum at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1657011-i16537-…

Elephant Hills is expensive by Khao Lak standards but is very much a higher standard offering a very different experience, Those having stayed at Elephant Hills on Khao mSok Forum will advise of its benefits.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Elephant Hills - how long?

we have stayed at elephant hills camp for 3 nights (they did not have the lake houses at that time, or a swimming pool!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a full programme of quite controlled adventure (virgin holidays refers to it as 'soft adventure') so you feel quite safe and very well looked after. At frequent intervals you are encouraged to partake of chilled water, snacks and cold towels. The programme includes all meals and these were quite good and a lot of fun to meet with fellow travellers, especially around the campfire in the evening under the stars. So, i would have no hesitation in using them. Be aware though, they no longer include elephant riding in their programme. If you want this experience, you will need to get it elsewhere, which is easily done. Personally, we like elephant riding, but would not rule out elephant hills just for this reason!

It is more expensive than some of the other options, so it does depend how organised you want to be. we have also stayed in a tree house resort in khao sok (Our Jungle House, but there are loads of others) and were able to organise a number of day activities from there- we did elephant riding and canoeing (well, someone else paddles, and you just enjoy the ride). However, you will get a lot more activities at elephant hills and some of them are really fun. If it is in the budget, then go for it and you will not be disappointed- the kids will love it and what an adventure they will have. i can guarantee it will talked about for years.

The en-suite tents are marvellous and you do feel as though you are 'on safari'. I would be a little nervous about staying in the rafthouses with such young children even if they are excellent and strong swimmers. Our programme included a day on the lake, with lunch and some rest time in some raft houses and to be honest, this was enough for me.

Another word of caution on the tree houses- they are great fun and swimming in the dammed up creek was a highlight for the kids there, but you are a long way up with only a small railing around the deck, so again, it depends on how safe you would feel there with children.

Whatever you decide you will have a great time- are you also spending some time at the beach?

3. Re: Elephant Hills - how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak