We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

Hi everyone, only 8 weeks left to go now before our special trip to bangkok and khao lak. I wanted to ask if anyone might know if there might be anywhere that served a traditional Western Christmas dinner (shameful I know but hubby was asking last night) and also, if the beach restaurants by the jw marriott also serve western food as well as Thai so our two young girls could have the option? I am 99% sure we will be dining on the beach on Christmas Day but my husband wanted to know if there was any back up in case he was all Thai'd out!! Many thanks!

Little Italy
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Barbecue
Na Suang
₹, Seafood, Asian
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

We dine at the beach on Xmas Day at one of the local restaurants but our Xmas Lunch, taken at about 5pm or made into a Sunset Dinner as it is usually too hot before then, usually comprises Tiger Prawns and fish rather than traditional non-Thai fayre which I haven't seen on offer at local beach restaurants. They just don't cook full-sized "birds". Last Xmas we booked for 3pm at the excellent Ma Ma Greetings which is last on the right past the JWM but put it back until 6pm because it was just too hot to dine direct beachfront, which is the best setting you can have for a beach Xmas meal.

If you want traditional Western Xmas lunch it's usually in resort restaurants or at one of the ex-pat restaurants like Walkers Inn in Bang La On, Mars Bar and Jungle Restaurant in Bang Niang. Some of German/Thai restaurants like Tiffy's Café in Bang La On or Bavaria House in Bang Niang. The local beach restaurants have limited western food like, fries, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, sandwiches.

Mentioned in this post
Walkers Inn
Walkers Inn
504 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Mars Bar
Mars Bar
325 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bavaria House Khao Lak - Bang Niang
Bavaria House Khao Lak...
182 Reviews
Bang Niang Beach, Thailand
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

That to me, arandora sounds fabulous, goodness knows why he wants to ask about a Christmas dinner! It's good to know that the restaurants will also serve some other food than Thai, I want the girls to eat Thai food but I think they are going to want something familiar sometimes. Really looking forward to it now, only 8 weeks left! Many thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

What we have noticed with families with children eating in a local restaurant is giving them western food from the outset tends to keep kids on it and they become more adventurous. So, starting them on "finger food" like spring rolls, then (a specialiy at Ma Ma's), spring rolls with prawns inside, or Thai fish cakes, or Thai dishes with spagetthi then noodles, gets them more quickly into Thai food than some adults.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

I think my girls will love things like the prawns, spring rolls, pad Thai and easy things like that but they are not fans of spicy foods, unlike my husband and I who love proper spicy food that makes you sweat! Looking forward to all that lovely food!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

If you like spicy go to Ma Ma's and try the Thai style curry (soup not dry), chicken or prawns, Pet Mak Mak. (which roughly translated is "Thai Style".)

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

Ok will do, we are in khao lak from the 15 dec so may see you there!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

Yes, indeed. :-)

8. Re: Christmas dinner and western food at beach restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations