We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

London, England...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

Hey Guy!

My wife & I are visiting Khao Lak in Jan 2014. Would be grateful for advice on what tour to do: Similan island or Koh Tachai - or perhaps both?

Also, which tour companies people have used & recommendations.

Thanks

Jagdip

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

This will help, I hope, about Koh Tachai tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Although coming under the Ko Similans National Park Authority, Tachai is some distance away from the longer established main Similan Islands, is just one small, beautiful island with white talcum powder like sand and crystal clear water, with only a handful of boats allowed each day as opposed to dozens going to the Similans. At the Similans all snorkelling is from the boat whereas at Tachai you can snorkel from the beach or just enjoy its natural beauty wile others snorkel.

Agents at shops or kiosks on the streets of Bang La On and Bang Niang offer both and generally use the same operators, the most popular being Fantastic Similan, Kuraburi Greenview, Ruk Talay, Medsye or book through Khao Lak Land Discovery, Green Andaman Travel, Eco Khao Lak. Prices are very competitive.

London, England...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

Thank you Arandora - as always!

My wife is keen to go to Phi Phi islands and I would like to go to Surin Islands (as opposed to Similan islands). Along with doing Koh Tachai as well.

Any experiences of Surin you could offer? Reading through TA, the snorkeling in Surin seemed much better.

London, England...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

Also - Khao Lak Vista seems very competitively priced compared with the rest - any experience of this company?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

They may be competitively priced with other rates quoted on-line but are still more expensive for the same tour on the street. You really only need to book in advance if you require a specific day for a specific tour or have limited time available. For Instance, they are quoting 2900 baht Adult, 1900 bahtChild for a day tour to the Similans or Koh Tachai. Although January is High Season (Peak until about 15th) by shopping around and being flexible with dates you should be able to get Similans for no more than 2200 - 2400 baht, Ko Tachai a bit more.

London, England...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

Thanks a lot. Have been quoted 3000 THB so will hold off until we land in Khao Lak and then plan the tours. At least I know which companies are worth going with and where I actually want to go!

U.K
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

We are interested in going to Ko Tachai, can you please tell me how long it takes to get there and also will the trips still be going towards the end of April.

Thanks Eve.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

Transfer from your hotel in Khao Lak to Tab Lamu pier takes about 15 - 30 minutes depending where you are staying then speedboat takes about 75 minutes each way. The Similans, Koh Tachaí and the Surins usuyally close at the end of April but for the past two years Similans and Tachai have been extended to 15th May.

8. Re: Similan Island/ Koh Tachai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations