We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
16 reviews
Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

Hello! I will be spending 3 nights in Krabi from the end of October and then moving on to Khao Lak (3-5 nights, undecided whether to stay in Khao Lak entire time or also checkout Karon for anight or 2...?). Anyhow, I have read that basically we can either fly or drive from Krabi to Khao Lak. I think driving makes the most sense, can anyone recommend the best method? Taxi? Bus? Who to took through and costs etc?

In Khao Lak I'll be staying in the Briza Beach resort for 1 night, and then contemplating maybe slumming it a bit at Walkers Inn to spend the money saved elsewhere since the prices seem to sky rocket come Nov 1 peak season.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

Contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak for quote cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Prices in Low Season fall as mush as half in all resort areas, not just Khao Lak, one of the reasons for its popularity to a growing number of visitors.

"... and then contemplating maybe slumming it a bit at Walkers Inn"

I think that's a rather unfortunate and IMO insulting phrase to use in relation to one of th best value B&Bs in Khao Lak and would advise against repeating it to the face of Andy, the usually genial owner there, who incidentally is a member of this forum and who has no doubt read the remark.

England
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

Hi Ive recently stayed in Khao Lak and from there went to Railay Beach in Krabi and then onto Phuket and Karon beach

I stayed at Walkers as I was volunteering. You are in dorm rooms but I wouldn't say it was slumming it by any means. In fact people were coming in daily from the 5 star hotel in Khao Lak to eat at Walkers. The food is amazing. Atmosphere is great too and youll meet really sociable people there.

Andy the owner of Walkers arranged our mini bus for us from Khao Lak to Krabi - including the water taxi fare. Worked out approx. 600Baht each which is nothing really to get down there in air conditioning!! It was hassle free and they make a stop half way for you to get out stretch your legs and have a little snack if you fancy it! In Krabi there are loads of companies offering tickets to get to Phuket. Due to the storms we had to miss going to Phi Phi so again got a boat and taxi to Phuket. It worked out approx. 550baht each booking through our hotel. We stopped at Patong for a couple of nights out before heading to Karon beach - it is lovely in Karon beach would recommend a stop there if you wanted to chill out on a lovely beach. Patong though if you want the crazy night life.

Hope this helps!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

Oh wow didn't realise that turn of phrase would cause any offence, just meant compared to resorts that have extravagant rooms and pools etc. On Holidays I either camp, or resort/villa it up, not usually somewhere in the middle like b&b or hostels. I suppose on an International forum like tripadviser should consider that not everyone will necessarily follow the context of how expressions are used. Oops. No offence intended. Really glad to hear positive commentary about the place!

Thanks for the information though, and Kenyamtoto88 thanks for feedback on Karon. In both Krabi and Khao Lak we plan to relax mostly and maybe see a few Islands, funds permitting, so i'll take a squiz at accommodation in Karon maybe for a night.

khao lak
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
4. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

no offence taken,well,a little bit,all the money you save on room you can spend in the bar.

England
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

We stayed for 4 nights at the Manohra CozyResort. In low season we got a great price - they are on facebook too and easy to contact. The rooms are HUGE and there is a nice pool with great bar staff there. From the hotel is about 15 min walk down to the beach but they offer a shuttle taxi at 10am each morning. But the walk Is actually quite nice.

Just before the beach there is a great place for a fry up breakfast too! The Little Mermaid I think its called? Its literally just before the beach. And once on the beach you pay a guy for a sun bed and he also has a cheeky bar behind his hut!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

Got a quote of 2500bht from cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com which sounds high to me?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

You won't get cheaper than Boss, most Krabi drivers want around 2300 baht or more for Phuket airport, Khao Lak is another hour north.

We got the same quote from him for next month and were very pleased. Krabi Shuttle were next closest at 2800.

Maybe check out what bus services are available, I'm sure you can get there on the cheap by bus, or if your roosters win this Sunday just treat yourself.

khao lak
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
8. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

there are mini buses running from ao nang or krabi,to khao lak,one by a company called hat yai world travel,dangerous at the least,there is a new company running 3 times a day.their drivers seem to be a lot safer,without silly travel times claims. a good agent in krabi for transport on a budget is kanaab naam.near krabi post office.

khao lak
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
9. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

the price is 350b from krabi and 450b from ao nang

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
10. Re: Options to get from Krabi to Khao Lak?

@walkersinn

That`s the stuff I like to hear. Any more info on the company, times or who to contact on the Khao Lak end.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak