We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation advice

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation advice

I am so confused about where to stay in Khao Lak! I know there has been a lot of discussion about it along with info, maps, etc but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around where things are.

We will be arriving mid-March and would like to stay 5 to 6 nights. Ideally we'd like to keep the price around $100 US per night. Basically the reason we are going is so my husband can do a couple of days of diving so near a dive shop might be good. I want to be near to shops, restaurants, etc. The beach would be nice but a pool will do.

I've been looking at "The Leaf" but seems like its not opening until November 2013. Any info about this hotel? Does it seem to be in a good location? Nice place, etc.? Any other suggestions? The price starts at $106 US (or 3300 bht) per night.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation advice

If you want to stay near restaurants, bars and shops then accommodation in Bang La On/Nang Thong Beach (which has most of them and most dive centres) or Bang Niang (which has more than enough for 5/6 nights and some dive centres) give you best choice. However, being near a dive centre is not that important as most, if not all, arrange to pick up and drop off their divers.

The Leaf is the former Andaburi Resort which was purchased by the Katathani Group along with the adjacent site which is now occupied by the new Sands by Katathani Resort, which opened last November. The Andaburi is being completely transformed into the new Leaf Resort. Both the Leaf and the Sands share their main entrance at the top end of the highway in Bang La On (with some dive centres on the opposite side including the long established Sea Dragon Dive Center which has a comprehensive list of accommodation throughout Khao Lak on its website at www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm ). The Sands is down from the main entrance directly beach front. The Andaburi previously did not have direct access, but I'm sure as a Leaf guest, if it doesn't have its own access across the beach access road, you will be able to go through the Sands.

On Nang Thong Beach you could look at the Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1), sister resort 400 metres away Nang Thong Beach Resort (NTBR2) both with their own pools, Green Beach Resort, 200 metres the other side of NTBR1, no pool but direct beach front. In Bang Niang there is Cousin Resort where we stay (one road back from beach but with own pool), Lad Resort (2 roads further back), Fanari Courtyard Resort (same road as Cousin).

Hope this helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation advice

Hi Arandora, thanks so much for your explanation -- it was very helpful. I looked at Cousin Resort and think it looks pretty good, especially for the price. I don't really need anything very fancy and my husband cares even less (he just wants to dive!). Do you usually get a car? I noticed that they provide airport transfers but was thinking a car would be nice to see the area and convenient to have. Or maybe just rent for a day when we're there? And is Cousin Resort handy to restaurants, etc?

Thnaks so much for your help!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation advice

We are there for 5 months sp we hire a car from and to Phuket Airport for the duration. Please, if you haven't done so already, read the FAQ on the right about Driving Licence Requirements and in particular taking out an International Driving Permit. Cousin prives transfers or you can contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com for a quote. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and shops within easy walking distance as well as the 3 times a week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturday afternoons) market.

4. Re: accommodation advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak