We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

Hi there,

Looking at the various reviews I've seen of the Similans. Many have suggested that it gets ridiculously busy. Are there any tips from the community that will help me to decide on the best day to visit (quietest). My wife and I are interested mainly in the beach and some swimming and do not want to participate in arranged group diving or snorkelling etc.

We're staying at the Casa De La Flora in early December and would also like to know which would be the boat tour to take us there?

Thanks a lot!

John

Mentioned in this post
Casa de La Flora
Casa de La Flora
572 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

A better alternative to the Similans is to Koh Tachai, a beautiful small island that comes under the auspices of the Ko Similans National Park Authority, but has restricted number of boats ( about per day compared to probably 30 or 40 at peak ). You still catch a speedboat which stops for one snorkel for from the boat then anchors at the fabulous beach with brilliant white, talcum powder like sand, and crystal clear water with an inshore reef. You have lunch here and can either just stay on the beach and explore the trails just off it, or some tours include a guide to see the nests of the large chicken crabs, sunbathe, swim or snorkel from the beach or go on another snorkel from the boat before returning to the pier at Tab Lamu, about 20 minutes from your resort. See report of our trip to the island known as the Maldives of Thailand at tripadvisor.co.uk/…30871062

Fantastic Similan, Love Andaman, Kuraburi and Ruk Talay are perhaps best known (to me) operators but their tours are widely sold at the various tour shops in Khao Lak at very competitive prices. If you look at the inset map at the bottom of this map of Bang Niang walagata.com/w/…Bang_Niang_Map_2013.jpg there is a very good tour kiosk called Sunny's just opposite the Muktalay Restaurant. There are also a couple more one on the right one, one on the just before the superb Take a Seat Coffee shop (bes coffee and cake in Khao Lak!). Compare prices over an Iced Mocha shake and mango cheesecake.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

Approximately how much is a trip to Koh Tachai for an adult/child as per above?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

It depends on when you are visiting. Prices are highest over peak period of mid-December to mid-January when demand is highest. Other times they become very competitive but if you work on upto 2400 baht pp you won't be far out.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

Thankyou for your advice. My friend and I are very interested in snorkelling tours and the trip to Koh Tachai sounds good. Can you recommend a company? We will be there in late November

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

Thank you Arandora for taking the time to respond. I have taken your advice and we will visit Koh Tachai. Our hotel has recommended a day trip which costs 4500 THB. Thanks again - John.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

That is very expensive if that is per person for a tour that is available at much more competitive prices from tour shops and kiosks. Which operator is the hotel recomending?

Australia
Level Contributor
933 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

Whoa way expensive like you say Arandora... if for one

Would too like to know who the tour operator is

8. Re: Similans/Best time to visit/Best Tour From Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations