We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
240 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

I've changed my mind about accommodation so many times. I think we're going to book at the Nangthong bay resort for a week in November. (good rates).

Now I'm having second thoughts after reading about Noisy European guests keeping towels on the sunbeds etc. Is khao lak worth a visit or should we go somewhere else?

Should we book a room for less than a week? We'll be in Thailand for 3 weeks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Do you really expect people on the Khao Lak Forum to advise you to go somewhere else? Especially if the reason is "Noisy European guests keeping towels on the sunbeds etc. " You get that throughout the world let alone Khao Lak and not all Europeans should be tarred with that particular brush. In any event it is very easy to deal with as most resorts have a "no reserving sunbeds policy". If beds have been reserved and vacated just take them and put them somewhere else or give them to a member of staff. If the guests come back and complain just politely refer them to the management.

I doubt that the NTBR will be too busy in November and neither resort is renowned for being noisy, quite the contrary. However, if you want a quiet resort I can recommend the Cousin Resort where we stay for 5 months every year - along with other Non-Noisy Europeans! ;-)

Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
240 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Sorry. Really no offence meant. I, myself am of European origin.

I just read tripadvisor reviews of this resort and the saving of sunbeads seems to be acceptable in many parts of Europe.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

If you are European in origin I am sure you will have heard of th traditional rivalry for sunbeds between Germans and other nationalites, especially Brits. Since Khao Lak is very popular with German tourists their, shall we say, "tendency" to carry on that tradition does sometimes cause problems with other guests. As Thais are very deferential and do not relish being caught up in "sunbed wars" they prefer for guests to deal with the problem themselves as I suggested in my last reply. If it happens to you and you are challenged for removing someone's towels just shrug and reply in your adopted language. That usually works with tailors and anyone else who stops you on the street! :-)

Aussies have their own particular way of dealng with this which is to laugh and tell them to "depart to pastures new".

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

arandora is right, just move whatever is occupying the space, the germans know full well that this behaviour is completely unacceptable.

very rarely do i get challenged, and when i do i just give them a right earful. i have to add i have been brought up in germany and will let them know in know uncertain terms of what i think of this behaviour and how this makes them look in the eyes of the rest of the world and they should be ashamed of themselves.

also november is hardly peak season in this part of thailand so the chances of there being hordes of people and no sunbeds available are remote.

all the best

angela

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Depart to pastures new...??...Hahaha...That's a new one to me Alan....I think if you use the term U.F.O in defined words,then an aussie would understand....LOL....

Maybe the wind accidentally blew the towel into the pool...??...

We never had a problem with acquisition of sunbeds and umbrellas at NTBR.....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

too funny Alan , I agree. And yep I totally understand whar Coco is saying with U.F.O, but I am Australian afterall.

Kant wait, 19 days till I have my 1st visit to Khao Lak ( 10th visit to Thailand) so looking forward to my Beach Bungalow at NTBR

Michelle

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Another Aussie here, fully understanding Coco as well.

Over the past 18 months we have had the pleasure to stay at NTBR1 3 times in March, Oct/Nov & May and have had no problem with sun beds. In Oct/Nov we had 4 people staying and most times found vacant sunbeds close to each other, they were a little harder to get along the beach front. In May we had the pool to ourselves, most days.

We are heading back again late October, so 39 more days for us. Sorry we are going to miss you Michelle, have a great birthday holiday. I'm sure Khao Lak will tick a lot of boxes for you, maybe we'll see you next time.

Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
240 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Thanks for all the replies. We're really looking forward to Khao Lak. Booked a week at NTBR from 10th of November.

Borlange, Sweden
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

Hey there! New here! Me and my family will also stay at NTBR from the 11th of nov. We are as you see from Sweden... ;-) hope nobody will se us as noisy europens.....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nangthong Bay resort or somewhere else?

No, those "quiet" Aussies will all be at home! ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations