We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orphanage in khao lak

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
58 reviews
Orphanage in khao lak

Anyone know of orphanage in khao lak that I could visit when I am there in November?

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Hi

This link gives you information about and how to contact the Hands Across the Water Orphanage at Baan Tharn Namchai (BTN) which is just outside Takua Pa which is about a 20 minute ride north of Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Fantastic thanks :-)

faversham
2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Hi Leo - my answer to you is in the form of questions:

why do you want to 'visit an orphanage' ?

could you do that in your own country?

do you have any experience of working with vulnerable children?

how can you be sure it's a 'real' orphanage? is it legally recognised?

please take care - 'orphanage tourism' is a hot topic and potentially dangerous ... responsible and ethical travel companies have quite rightly removed such visits from their itineraries

for tips and advice, check this out:

blog.travel-peopleandplaces.co.uk/…

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Before you post messages like this, you should read the link to the website of the Orphanage suggested, go to it and read the invaluable work it does, do some research about it with Google. Find out the history of the Orphanage and how it was founded after the terrible events of the 2004 Tsunami, leaving thousands of people dead, families devastated and hundreds of children orphaned in minutes. Then perhaps think again about making irresponsible and ignorant (of the facts) comments about an incredible organisation. Perhaps even think about why you made your post which in fact undermines the very subject you are trying to promote. I'm not going to report it as posts like this should be left to expose the ignorance of those that make them.

Shame on you!

faversham
2 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

thank you for your response Arandora. I'm delighted that this particular orphanage has such excellent credentials.

I see that you are based in the UK - where we would certainly not condone, let alone encourage, visitors to an orphanage to play with vulnerable children without thorough checks, appropriate training or experience, full supervision ... etc

So my concerns about 'orphanage tourism' remain ... children are not tourist attractions!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

I spend nearly half a year in Khao Lak, having been attracted to it by the devastation caused by the Tsunami and the pitiful resources available particularly to the poor orphans in comparison with those available in the UK. Last tear I was privileged to accompany a local Bikers Club which raised supplies for this particular orphanages. These supplies included over a thousand kilos of that basic commodity rice. Since none of the costs of the orphanage are state funded it falls on donations, fund raising and volunteers from over the world to support it. Many visitors, particularly from Australia where its founder came from bring donations and goods from "Across the Water" (the clue and information is in post#1) and are welcomed by the staff and particularly by the children. One Australian couple, who are sponsors of a Tsunami now attending University, whom we accompanied brought donations, both money and goods which were allowed to be carried without charge by the airline in recognition of the cause.

Without any knowledge of the conditions or culture in Thailand, to imply that visitors to this orphanage are engaging in "orphanage tourism" does you no credit whatsoever!

Perhaps you should leave this topic now to people who have more charity in their hearts and deeds than you are prepared to give them credit for.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
958 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

I must admit I did have my reserves about visiting this orphanage when we visit khao lak in December but after doing my research I want to go more than ever. As arandora states, if it wasn't for the tourists and kind people who visit khao lak and ultimately this orphanage those children who were left with absolutely nothing, would have nothing now. You cannot just turn up at this orphanage to visit, it's not like visiting animals in a zoo, you do have to make the necessary arrangements and be supervised. After being in Thailand at the time of the tsunami and witnessing what devastation it caused, to be able to know that even now you can do something to help is one of my top priorities for when I visit. I suggest you do more research about this orphanage before making your judgements, if everyone thought the way you did these children would have nothing and probably would not be alive today because of people like you. No, children are not tourist attractions but its not necessarily the children that we want to witness. I want to witness, for myself, what is being done and what continues to be done following one of the most tragic events in my lifetime. I hope to contribute to that.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Well Kate 1,

That was a very aggressive answer, firstly it's actually none of your business what my creditials with working with children is! My question was simple! Don't bother to answer the actual question asked if you don't have an answer!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Arandora and emanmaddy

Thank you so much for your reply, I have actually emailed hands across the water and waiting their response, I always take baby cloths when I visit Thailand so I can drop into the local orphanages whenever we go. Eventually my goal is to get into volunteering when we visit and get my 4 year old involved as well. But thinking he may be a little young ATM. So would love to donate what we can.

Appreciate your responses

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Orphanage in khao lak

Lee,

Notwithstanding your wish to take gifts, volunteering in Thailand is a whole different and far more difficult matter. For instance you will need a specific visa, which is straightforward AND a Work Permit (even for "working" unpaid) which is far from straightforward. I am sure the Director at the Orphanage will advise on the implications.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations