We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Hi,

When we were booking our hotel we got the choice to pay now in USD or pay later in THB. We chose to pay later. Just wondering if this is a good choice? I guess the exchange rate could be worse, but I figured it would probably not be that much of a difference between now and January. Just wondering for when we are looking at other hotels in Thailand what the better option is?

Thanks so much!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Hi

I prefer to pay for hotels with credit card before I arrive, if I know I am going to be staying for a few days

at the hotel. I like to pay large ticket items with CC and save cash "Baht" for day to day spending.

right now the dollar is getting stronger to the Baht it is up almost 3 baht to the dollar in the last month.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Another point to ponder ...

I have never paid extra for payment by credit card with an online "accommodation" booking site ... I have been charged an extra 3% for payment by credit card at a number of hotels in Thailand !

On the other hand, in one hotel I was given a 5% discount for paying cash (in Thai baht) when checking out :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Hmm good to know about the extra for paying by credit card. Was this at small/ boutique hotels or larger hotels? I know we wont be paying by cash at the hotel when we are there because that would be way too much cash to carry around (6 night stay). I guess perhaps we should've chosen to pay now instead of later. Oh well, hopefully it doesn't end up being too much of a difference in the end. Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Usually in boutique hotels (not part of a major chain).

Travellers cheques (checks) may be an option.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

Avoid changing TCs in hotels (which accept them) as the rates are very poor.

6. Re: Better to pay for hotel now or later in THB?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 10:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations