We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

suffolk
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Is there any danger in drinking spirits in Thailand, seen a programme lately that warns holiday maker that what you think you are drinking is not the case. I was looking forward to having a pina colada when I went out for a meal etc., but it did make me concerned as this young girl died after drinking gin that she had bought from a liquer store. It had left her blinded and followed 24 hours later by death.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Hi

I think what you're refers to the show was in Bali not in Thailand. There's seems to have a big problem over there. I have never heard of methanol mixed with drinks in Thailand other wise we will have heard of it by now. That said you should never leave your drinks unattended. There's a few cases of drinks spike.

Cheers,

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
885 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

I've "heard" that some bars will replace the spirits of named brand liquors with inferior products to save money. It's Thailand, a third world / developing country so it's bound to happen from time to time. I'd probably say more reputable restaurants / bars are less likely to do this than your low end places but it's still a risk. I'd be particular careful at events such as full moon parties. To put it in context though I know places in the UK that have done or do do this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

The story you refer to happened in to a girl trekking in the Indonesian jungle There has been no such cases reported in Thailand.

As stated you might get a cheaper substitute but you wont be poisoned.

So dont worry and enjoy your holiday.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Perhaps you could consider drinking beers. It's safer.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

No problems at all with the authenticity of the spirits used in cocktails. The only problem is drinking them in moderation! :-)

suffolk
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Hi, thank you everybody for your replies. I only want a couple of pina coladas so think I will be ok, I wont get legless, I am getting on a bit and those days are long gone. I am probably worrying too much!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Where are you staying then you can get some suggestions for good cocktail places?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Never had any problems but I drink the lowly Thai brands like Sang Some.

suffolk
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Hi, we are saying at the Sensimar cant wait, we went about 5 years ago to Phuket and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe drinking spirits in Thailand?

Depending where you stayed on Phuket, Khao Lak is very different and hopefully you will enoy it just as much if not more.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations