We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cousin or La Flora?

Community of...
Level Contributor
373 posts
70 reviews
Cousin or La Flora?

My husband and I - mid 50's, like small hotels, fairly well travelled, like beaches, local culture and food - Will be in Khao Lak for 8 nights in late November 2013. Booked already at Cousin but I'm wondering if we should go to a different resort. Cousin's looks great and is a wonderful price but I have to admit that I'm a little fussy about hotels and always appreciate hotels that are charming, clean and well cared for. Think I should reconsider? I've seen good reviews for La Flora although it would be about 4 times the price for their standard room whereas at the Cousin we have a pool view bungalow. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for any feedback, much appreciated as always.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Cousin or La Flora?

As the price indicates the Cousin and La Flora are entirely different types of resort with different facilities that warrant their rating. However, I am biased as we stay at the Cousin for 5 months every year as we have for a number of years. Irresective of anything else I can assure you of the cleanliness of the resort and the friendliness of the owners and staff. It is great value for money, one road back from the beach and easy walking distance to restaurants, bars and shops.

Community of...
Level Contributor
373 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Cousin or La Flora?

Hi Arandora, thanks so much. I actually booked Cousin based on your recommendation and I think I'll stick with it. We don't need fancy and the price is so different that La Flora would have to be 4 times better and I can't believe that it is! I just have to relax and go with my original choices.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Cousin or La Flora?

Hi LilyAylmer

I can't comment on La Flora as i've never stayed. I have visited Khao Lak only once (May of this year) and I booked a pool view bungalow at Cousin Resort. To be honest we'd normally stay at "fancier" places or at least 3 star so I too was a little apprehensive. I can gladly say that we had a great 8 days. The rooms were basic but clean and tidy, the only issue we had was the mozzies in the room but we bought spray, sprayed every evening before going out for dinner and had no more issues. In fact we are returning to Khao Lak for Christmas and are booked into the same bungalow!!

Safe and happy travels

Community of...
Level Contributor
373 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Cousin or La Flora?

Dear Lushlynds, Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with this info. I feel so much better about my decision!

All the best to you in all of your travels, Lily.

Canton of Aargau...
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Cousin or La Flora?

Hi Lily,

We have been at La Flora three times. It's a good resort on a beautiful setting at Bang Niang Beach. But we have also seen Cousin Resort. If you want or have to look at the costs, Cousin is the better choice for you. You might be disapointed beeing at the beach chairs in the garden of La Flora, one a few centimeters from the next !!! Even if the rooms are nice, it's not really worth the difference of costs.

We wish you a very nice holiday at Cousins.

Best Regards

Hans

6. Re: Cousin or La Flora?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak