We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
59 reviews
Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

Hi all,

We have booked for October for the Fanari Seafront zone. A reviewer who just posted on August 1st has said when they arrived to check in they were redirected to the Courtyard zone and told the Seafront zone was closed. This is apparently due to extensive damage to a sea wall in front of the resort.

The reviewers were not happy because they had not been informed and had paid more to stay in the Seafront zone. I have emailed the hotel to see when it might be re-opened.

Has anyone seen this section of beach and the sea wall lately?

Just wondering if we should be re-thinking hotels?

Any advice appreciated.

Caroline.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
1. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

These photos are along the same stretch of beach as FX, From Sept 2011 and May 2012. The storm damage seems to becoming a yearly thing there now :-( If there is reconstruction going on then it might look like these.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96298966@N06/sets/72157634940477074/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96298966@N06/

Somebody posted some more recent Photos on here just after a storm earlier this year, can`t remember who exactly.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

It's not surprising if it has had to close because of sea wall repairs. Most along that stretch have done so over the past few Wet Seasons and during the current one. These are usually completed in time for new Dry Season. As for October I would await reply from the resort before actually rebooking.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

Thanks Jamie and Arandora.

That helps.

We just had a holiday in Nth NSW (Australia) and the sand dunes were over ten meters high in front of the beach house we stay in. We had to get up and down with a knotted rope! (it wasn't pretty)

It wouldn't bother us too much really as long as the resort is open. We really wanted to stay at the Seafront zone.

Jamie - the second link you give. What resort is that in the photos? (out of interest) It kind of looked like some of the Fanari photos but I didn't think the pool was right on the beach front but behind some bungalows?

Caroline.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

Jamie will confirm but as far as I can tell the only one of the Fanari is Image 0242 which shows the former Coconut Grove Restaurant next door to the Fanari, probably in 2011 or 2012. The pool at the fanaris is behind the ocean front bungalows.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
5. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

Yes, Fx is in there someplace, when your down on the beach and faced with a concrete wall it`s hard to remember which is which. But I should emphasise that those photos are low season and 2011/12, the repairs might be minor this year and it`s just really that little corner. The sand moves and some years the height between the beach and steps is a lot less but unfortunately the concrete is still there.

The 2nd link hotel photos are of Causarina on Koh Lanta (A lot of Lanta hotels are similar beachfront/pool). If you really want beachfront in the same area of Khao Lak, have a look at Ayara Villas next door to the Castle de Flora :-/. They have some beachfront without concrete, but the storms this year may have changed that.

I like Ayara nearly as much as Alan likes NTBR, so I`m obviously biased in my recommendation.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

I've never stayed at Ayara Villas but am more familiar with it and its location as we stay nearby than the NTBR1 & 2 which is a very firm favourite with our friends from Down Under especially for its proximity to the restaurants, bars and shops of Bang La On more of which are open in the Wet Season. Early this Wet Season the Ayara beachfront was devastated by waves being deflected from the Casa de la Flora beach wall. Let's hope it is remedied without too much disruption. Same goes for the Fanari. I believe there are major plans to construct a breakwater along the length of Bang Niang Beach as this is the area most seriously affected every year and where the beach has suffered most erosion. When and if this grand plan will take place is anybody's guess.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 16:04
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,404 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

Thanks so much for this advice. I just then got an email back and they said the repairs are taking place over this month and not to worry they will be open after that. I'm guessing there are a few others who have bookings being moved to The Courtyard zone.

Caroline.

8. Re: Fanari Seafront Khao Lak - closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 10:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak