We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands - exact location?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
The Sands - exact location?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew the exact location of the new resort, The Sands? We are hoping to be within walking distance of the town/village? Is this hotel location near the Ramada? I am getting conflicting information, or perhaps it's just my map reading skills :)

Any other advice on this resort would be great. The reviews look great. Is is considered a 5 star resort? We are thinking of 9 or 10 nights in May 2014, in a pool access Junior Suite, so we are not ready to book yet, just sussing out some places.

Our other option would be to return to the JW Marriot, which we love, but a hotel within walking distance of restaurants for dinner would be a real plus.

The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#3 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sands - exact location?

The Sands is at the northern end if Bang La On with its main entrance right on the highway nearly opposite the Book Tree so easy walking distance if al the restaurants, bars and restaurants there. The Ramada is in the next town of Bang Niang.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Oh thankyou so much Arandora. You truly are a wealth of knowledge. You really helped immensely when I planned our last trip to Khao Lak a few years ago, and I do appreciate you still helping people out now.

I do get the two towns mixed up a bit.

Would you say it's a good spot? Or should we look for something in Bang Niang? We just want access to a few choices for dinner and a local 7-11 or mini mart type of place.

Thanks again, Steph

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Hi

The Ramada is the more established resort with Best Hotel in Khao Lak two years running. Ideally placed on best part if Bang Niang Beach with restaurants, bars, shops and 3 times a week market within easy walking distance. The Sands is newer and has a growing good reputation but in some people's eyes is a bit bland. Not as handy for beach restaurants as Ramada.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Good points. I can see how some people might find the look a bit bland, it's definately not Thai style, but the more think about it, I think it's perfect for us. And we can get a pool access suite for $140 which is a great price IMO.

I can make a fully no penalty for change or cancel booking so we might make a booking to secure the rate.

I must admit, I finally found the place on the map in the FAQs! I looked at them a few times before but was looking in another place for it.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help,

Cheers, Steph

melbourne
Level Contributor
135 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Hi Steph just got back to cold melbourne we had 8 nights at the sands yes its new and taking time to get thimgs moving ,My wife and i would go back to sands it was our first time in khao lak we had a great time . The sands is a short walk to restarants and shops . Therte is a night market plus restarants about 150 baht each way well worth the money we had 3or 4 meals at hilltribe very good meals and great owner and staff . As we were there last week a lot of places shut due to low season Cheers swans05

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Hi swans05, thanks for that info. I think I am pretty much decided on it now. We have friends coming to Phuket for some of our holiday time so I am trying to convince them to try Khao Lak. It's such a gorgeous spot, we can't wait to return.

We were there in Wet season of 2011 and there were still plenty of good places open to eat. We had some wonderful meals actually.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Hi Steph

Within 100 metres of the entrance to The Sands you will have the relocated Smile, Tiffy's, O'Rendezvous, Orchid Cafe to name a few who constantly rank in the top 20 Khao Lak restaurants. The beach restaurants south of the Bang Niang creek are only a 15-20 minute stroll along the beach. There's a couple of mini-marts within around 200 metres of the hotel entrance.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Thanks for that tezzat, that sounds awesome. I am certainly sold!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Sands - exact location?

Sadly O'Rendezvous had closed, allegedly permanently, when we left last April and was under new management anyway. More sadly Tiffy's was closed temporarily following owner Gustav having a stroke but happily from which he is making a fine but slow recovery. His wife wil continue to run it until hopefully he returns in good health.

It is an area though, I feel that will attract more restaurants to add to those already mentioned as wel as MaMa Tonie's our favourite pizzeria, Khao Lak Seafood just down the road and, of course, the great Hapy Snapper live music bar.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
10. Re: The Sands - exact location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 09:47