We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
38 reviews
Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

I am planning my trip for April 2014 after falling in love with Khao Lak a few weeks ago when we travelled with Hayes & Jarvis next year I am looking at doing it independently.

I am thinking of 4 nights in Phuket followed by 4 nights on Phi Phi and to finish 8 nights at Khao Lak Resort.

1) Would it be cheaper to go direct to Khao Lak or from Phuket and then book 4 nights on Phi Phi or the last option is book it from the UK?

2) I am looking on E Bookers and Agoda and fine it all very confusing.

3) Last one is it cheaper to fly from Heathrow direct to Phuket other than going from Manchester with Etihad which means a stop over in Abu Dhabi.

I am also going to get a quote from Hayes & Jarvis so I can compare.

All tips and Advice most welcome.

Thanks Guys

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
113 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

I would suggest contacting Travel Bag Asia/Thailand as they organised our trip to Khao Lak and Phuket last year and were very competitive on price, your trip sounds very similar to the one we are planning for 2014 only can't decide on if to do Phi Phi or Krabi. We want to go back to Khao Lak Merlin plus Kata/Karon but not sure if to add on a 3rd stop.

We did stopover in Abu Dhabi last time, it was about £90 cheaper than the more direct route with Thai airways, won't go this way again as in my opinion it's better to get one long flight out the way (and try and get some sleep) rather than get settled for 6 hours only to have to get off the plane and do another similar journey.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

another vote for travel bag,also have a look at travel republic for prices on hotels always find them very good.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

If you are not having a stopover in Bangkok, there are no non-stop flights from either Manchester or London to Phuket (except charter with Thomson from Gatwick which are most expensive), so all would have one change, either various airlines change in Bangkok then to Phuket, or MAN/LHR to Dubai to Phuket with Emirates, MAN/LHR to Abu Dhabi to Phuket with Etihad (changing to Air Berlin in Abu Dhabi) or MAN/LHR to Doha to Kuala Lumpur, stay on plane for an hour then to Phuket. By the time you have added cost of getting to LHR there is little if any difference between MAN or LHR prices and it is more convenient from Congleton to Manchester Airport than LHR.

We have used Qatar for the last two years MAN to Phuket and are doing so again in November. Best prices and best times for us and booked direct after using Skyscanner.net to identify flights and prices.

Be careful with EBookers who now have a tie up with EDreams which has attracted much criticism on the Air Travel Forum. Similarly I would use Booking.com rather than Agoda.com. They are both the same company but Booking.com includes service charges and taxes in all its prices whereas the initial prices displayed by Agoda do not and therefore seem cheaper.

It is probably easier to get from Phuket to Phi Phi than from Khao Lak but starting in Phuket would probably be better first after your long flight over. Given that April is popular period due to both Easter and Songkran I would book all your accommodation in advance.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

Thanks all for the Advice, I will give travel bag a try as well.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

Try Trailfinders.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

Right I have requested quotes from Travel Bag, Premier Holidays and Kuoni so far. Now back to the internet to do it myself. (This is much better than watching Coronation Street)

Now just Trail finders and Hayes and Jarvis to go

Will keep you up dated on the prices when I get the quotes.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

don't forget that lots of hotels in your chosen destinations will not be available through the UK agents (although some will). The hotel we use in chiang mai is available through travelbag, but our bangkok and khao lak favourites are not, so we book either directly with the hotels or via other booking sites.

Unless they are ridiculously cheap, advise not to purchase transfers from airports to hotels from Uk agents. For the phuket area, we use Boss (see FAQ), and in bangkok and CM,either taxi or AOT cars/limos. Much cheaper than prices quoted by UK travel companies.

dudley west midland
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

I am trying to get a good quote for our khao lak holiday 2014, I see you are looking as well, have you found anything of interest. Would be very interested in any advice. I normally good with Hayes and Jarvis but they are expensive for 2014. Ive had a good quote from Travelbag but am a little worried because don't know anyone who have used them.

Lynn

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

Hi Lynn,

We travelled with Hayes and Jarvis this year to Khao Lak and had an absolute barging of £1670 for the 2 of us for 12 nights. I booked in January when they had the sale on. We stayed @ Khao Lak Resort.

We have had a slight change of plan for next year and due to the time of year we are going will be missing out on wonderful Khao Lak. Hope you find something soon you will love Khao Lak it's truly amazing and we will definitely be going back in the future.

Happy holiday hunting.

Sheffield, United...
7 posts
1 review
10. Re: Planing our next trip to Khao Lak 2014

Hi everyone, looking to go to khao lak for the first time in march 2014 and am also looking round booking it independently compared with a travel agent. Looked at a few flights from Manchester to phuket just wondering if anyone knew what the average sort of price was for this as I'm unsure whether or not the ones I've seen are good or not. Thanks in advance

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak