We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars in Khao Lak

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Rental cars in Khao Lak

Is it possible to rent a car in Khao Lak rather than Phuket Airport? We are staying at The Sands and as part of the deal they will pick us up at Phuket airport and transport us to the hotel. As we are staying there for 10 days I would like to hire a car to get around a bit, but I don't like the idea of having to travel all the way back to Phuket Airport to rent one. Ideally, I want to pick up and drop off the rental vehicle in one of the townships near The Sands.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Hi,

There are both Budget and Hertz Rental Offices in Khao Lak where you can book or can book on-line and arrange for delivery to and from your resort. However, their rates tend to be more expensive than the local Phuket based operators, some of whom like Airport Car Rent for instance, will deliver and pick up from your resort in Khao Lak. They usually make a charge for this but the total cost may still be less than the international outfit rates.

If you want to book locally in Khao Lak, there is an agent on the left of Nang Thong Road, which is the road leading down from the Nang Thong Supermarket to the beach in Bang La On. The Budget office is on the right of the highway in Bang Niang up past the Police Boat. The Hertz office is on the right just before the Police Boat. Bear in mind though that you may have trouble booking at short notice as neither keep a stock of vehicles locally and those that are located there may be booked, so hey will have to bring one from Phuket if/when available so in effect you are paying for this in their rates.

Beware of signs at tour shops or a car parked by the road with "for hire" sign as it may be a private vehicle which the owner is illegally hiring and will therefore be uninsured.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
610 posts
218 reviews
2. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Jumping in the OP's thread to ask which type of rental car place would be best for pick up in Khao Lak and drop off at the airport--is that possible? I am assuming the national/international brands, but interested if that is true. Sorry if this sends your posts in the wrong direction, but thought you might be interested as well, Exchef_8.

Sally in Seattle

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Any of the internationals or most Phuket locals will allow pick up at Phuket collect at KL or deliver to KL or pick up in KL if available and return to Phuket. The rental charge will reflect which option you want.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Thanks for your information Arandora. I'm going to take your advice and book one of the "internationals" at Phuket Airport for drop off at The Sands. I will deliver it back to Phuket Airport as our next destination will be Bangkok.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

From email responses I've received from four car rental companies at Phuket Airport, it would seem none of them will deliver to Khao Lak during the time we are there (early August). I contacted David Car Rental (whom we have used in the past), Airport Car Rent, Phuket Car Rental and Bruean Rentals. All of them have said that picking up at Phuket Airport and returning there is OK, however, that is not what I require.

So it looks as if I will need to rent a car locally.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Must admit I am surprised, especially with Airport Car Rent. Try Andaman Car Rent and Nine Car Rent.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

I'm not having much success. Andaman will not deliver to The Sands but offered me pick up and drop off at Phuket Airport only. Thus far, Nine Rent A Car have not replied to my emails. So it looks as if I might have to rent one locally in Khao Lak. Is there any particular rental agency that you would recommend Alan?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

I've used Budget for past two years and will be using them again when we return in November. You can book when you arrive at their office in Bang Niang shown on map at http://www.t3x.de/khaolak/BangNiangmap.htm to the left of the Police Boat. The advantage of having a local office and representative was brought home to us in January when we were involved in a shunt with a drunken Thai driver. Rep was on the spot in 5 minutes, handled everything including the police and insurance and delivered replacement vehicle next morning.

What are your dates?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Of course, I should have suggested asking at the Sands when you arrive. Hotels usually can arrange car hire for you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Rental cars in Khao Lak

Direct from contact in Khao Lak:

NDC Car Rent - near Budget office. Krabi based but office in Khao Lak http://krabidir.com/ndccarrent/

Budget Khao Lak Mobile: 081 737 0071

Hertz Khao Lak: Tel: 0 22 66 4666

Thai Rent A Car: http://www.thairentacar.com/

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak