We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

For information just in case anyone is moving on to Phuket or in case any of these jellies have been blown over to Khao Lak coastline phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Rough-sur…

I'm also told that people are swimming on Phuket beaches even when red flags flying, this despite there being a number (too many) drownings each year on certain ones in the Wet Season.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Your title made me think....

"New beach restaurant called Rough Surf opening with delicacies such as Fly green curry" :-)

I think the important part of that story is Not to Use Vinegar if stung by one of these.

khao lak
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

indeed,the recommendation is to soak the wounded area in water, as hot as you can stand it.Ideally,stay out of the water for a while,it is rough,it is dangerous in some areas.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
458 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

I'd never heard of a bluebottle jellyfish but then saw its also known as a Portuguese Man of War, which I have heard of! Interesting that this type of sting should be treated different to others but is there some way of identifying the stinger if you have not seen what stung you by the pattern of the sting? Sounds like the last thing you want to do is make it worse!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Shakespearestarr....As regards to identifying what stung you....??...Because we are talking about the bluebottle stinger.....After one has been stung by a bluebottle, a line of welts or red spots line the affected area....Sometimes when one has been stung,one tries to rip the stingers off their body with their hands,many a time leaving the tentacles still attached to the stung area....In the case of a bluebottle,the tentacles are a deep blue color....The bubble/sail on it's back is transparent.....Great for popping when they're stranded on the beach....Popping with heels,tho' be careful not to place your feet/toes onto the blue tentacles...Ouch..!!...

The sting in my opinion is akin to a line of bees all stinging at the same time...Any number from 10 up to 50-100 stings depending on how many tentacles attach to your body/legs/arms/neck/face....

And many a time the bluebottle is not seen when you're stung as their tentacles are so long....Also dangerous when you're body surfing and unable to detect any bluebottles in a breaking wave...In other words a lot of foam....Hence,unseen in the foam.....Stung...!!....Bluebottles usually come in hoards on an onshore wind/breeze,but there are the stragglers you have to watch out for that travel solo and unseen but no less venomous...

The bluebottle is usually not fatal,however if you suffer from a heart condition or the like,it could be....

As for other stingers....Some stingers will leave an aggravating itch...IE:Purple people eaters...!!

I have been stung countless times by bluebottles whilst surfing....The worst times were when I was stung on the thigh...About 20-30 strike spots...The pain was strong but not overly strong until the venom travelled up into my groin....Now that is pain of the highest order....Then to rub salt into the wound,the venom travelled up further into my tummy.....I folded over in so much agony...It was the worst stomach ache you could ever think of...!!....However,this only lasted a few hours and altho' exhausted,I recovered fully to go for an afternoon surf....

So,bottom line is you could be stung mildly with only a couple of spots or stung wildly with a 100 spots...Medical assistance is then required....!!...

Bluebottles,the scourge of all surfers...!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Special note regarding all stingers.....Never ever rub wet or dry sand into the affected area....It might feel good at the time but ultimately it only irritates the affected area and a waste of time....

warwickshire
Level Contributor
458 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Thank you cocotang for your great reply.

I've just googled some images and it looks very painful! Evil little beggers!

You must really like surfing! I think I'll stick to paddling! ;o)

On a more serious note this forum is a real education. I never knew what a rip tide looked like or a bluebottle or why the snorkeling is not so good directly around the shores of Khao Lak. But I do now. Brilliant forum!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Cocotang is our regular surfin' dude and has always been passionate about surfing opportunities in Khao Lak but more importantly informing those of us not as aware as he and his compatriots of the inherent dangers and risks from surfing and thos lurking beneath the surface, rip tides and jellies in particular.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
8. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak