We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Arandora, Just wondering you live in my area near Manchester Airport.

How you plan your trips.

Do you have a favourite airline ?

I take it you don't use a Package type of holiday.

Could you recommend a hotel for a 1st timer to Khao Lak, Who wants to-do some diving. Or would you recommend another area of Thailand.

Thanks

Garry

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Hi Garry,

I think 1999 was the last time I let someone plan a trip to Thailand for us. Since we found Khao Lak and fell in love with it just after the Tsunami we have always booked independently, both airlines and accommodation. Except for one year when we flew from Heathrow, shuttle from Manchester, Malaysia Airlines to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Airlines to Phuket, we have used one of the airlines flying from Manchester and changing in the Gulf. Etihad change in Abu Dhabi, Emirates change in Dubai and Qatar change in Doha flying to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur and then change again for onward flight to Phuket.

During that time we have had stopovers on the way back in either Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur.

However, the last two years we have not had a stopover and have flown Qatar (superb 5* airline). You fly Manchester to Doha, change aircraft, fly to Kuala Lumpur, stay on the aircraft, fly to Phuket. Your luggage goes straight through from Manchester to Phuket. Emirates now fly Manchester change in Dubai then non-stop to Phuket; Etihad now fly Manchester change in Abu Dhabi to Air Berlin then direct to Phuket.

I use Skyscanner.net to search for flights to meet our holiday duration with connection times and price to suit but book direct with the airline.

If you advise when you are planning your holiday and what your budget for accommodation is; whether you want to be on near the beach; near to restaurants etc'; it will help to advise on accommodation. The time of year will also determine whether Khao Lak is suitable for diving.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Thanks for the reply and the kind offer Alan. Sorry its taken a while to get back to you.

We are planning on February 2014 for 2 weeks. We would like to be on the beach if possible and yes we love scuba. We normally dive in Egypt but we have dived that out now.

Restaurant's we don't really mind location.

Budget wise Is it possible to get flights and accommodation for £2300 or less for the wife and I.

Please let me know what you think and also let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Garry

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

As Alan mentioned, http://skyscanner.net/ for the flights and http://agoda.com/ for a good range of hotels.

There is always the top of this page where is says "Which Khao Lak hotels are on sale?" Once you narrow it down to a few it will be easier to give advice of quality and service.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Hi Gary,

Just looking at flights for a random 14 days in Khao Lak Fly out on 13th Feb returning 28th using Skyscanner, flights average about £600 depending on airline. I would go direct to airline website or use Netflights, rather than any of the other 3rd party agencies. If you put your dates in the "Which Khao Lak Hotels are on sale Booking.com" boxes at the top of this page and select Booking.com rather than Agoda.com and click See Hotels for a list of accommodation. I advise Booking.com because although Booking.com and Agoda.com are owned by the same company, Agoda prices in the first list do not include taxes and service charges which is misleading whereas Booking.com prices included them.

Have a look at the resulting list for properties less than £1100 to meet your total price of £2300 or more probably £1000 to give you a bit more leeway with flights and cost of transfers from the airport. From the list I pulled up most of those coming within that figure are basic budget accommodation with the exception of the 3* Suwan Palm on Nang Thong Beach and the 3* Leaf by Katathani, formerly the Andaburi resort taken over by the Katathani Group who have built the new 4* Sands Resort next door and are currently refurbishing the Leaf prior to reopening in November. This is located further north along Nang Thong Beach and both are in great locations for easy access to restaurants, bars and shops in Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak. The Suwan Palm is directly beach front, the Leaf is back across an access road within a few minutes walk of the beach. Of the two I prefer the smaller Leaf which was a great value resort before being taken over by Katathani and refurbished so should be even better now.

See also my PM (Private Message).

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Suwan Palm Resort
Suwan Palm Resort
257 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Katathani Phuket Beach...
4,641 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Hi Arandora - still deciding on accomodation!!!!!! Flights are with qatar from Manchester as suggested by you. I am getting a really good deal for Leaf Katathani on expedia - how do you think it compares with Lah-Own - location and quality?

Thanks Nora

Mentioned in this post
4,641 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Lah Own Beach Resort
Lah Own Beach Resort
101 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

I've not visited Leaf since it was taken over by Katathani bit visited friends at La-Own in February.

La-Own has best beach location as it is directly on it whereas the Leaf is nearer to the highway with an access pass cutting down and across to the beach, which at that point I don't think is as nice as at La Own. So I don't know whether the Leaf has any loungers on the beach for its guests or whether you would have to go to one of the places nearby and use theirs. The nearest ones with free use as long as you drink or eat there are up near the La-Own anyway. The loungers at La-Own overlook the beach and are for guests only, albeit you can go right for a larger selection at the row of restaurants and bars there if you want a change of scenery. I can't comment on the quality of accommodation at the Leaf as it is a few years since we had a look there for friends.It was good then and after a refurb by its new owners would expect it to be so still. La-Own is also just going through a refurb which I think is a testimony to its young owner as when we were there in a beachfront bungalow in February it certainly didn't seem to need it.

Proximity to restaurants in Bang la On is better at the Leaf as it is about 900 metres down from the highway to the La-Own.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
4,641 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Thanks Arandora - La-own seems to be winning for me - I'll discount leaf. The only other option is the New Sita Gardens beachfront villa - no reviews on trip advisor but some on a German site are very favourable. Works out the same price as La-own but is self catering and no pool. Decisions decisions...........

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

No comparison between the very small Sita Gardens and La-Own. As you've recognised it has no facilities (pool or restaurant) and its beach frontage has been eroded by the ocean during successive Wet Seasons. Accommodation at La-Own is superior to Sita Gardens.

liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

Thanks again Arandora - my mind is now made up - La-Own it is in April 14

.I have just received an email from Mr Pisit and he has availability for our dates, so khao Lak here we come.

Thanks for all your guidance and patience with my many questions!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on How Arandora, plans trips.

No problem. Pity we will miss you as we leave on 2nd April.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations