We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help,with hotel please

vj1
Hamble, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
52 reviews
Help,with hotel please

Hi

Please can someone advise which area/hotel would be best for us. We are visiting khao lak in December as part of our wedding moon and want to stay in luxury hotel/resort on the beach but within walking distance to bars and restaurants.

I am not familiar with khao lak so not sure if best area

Thanks

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Help,with hotel please

hi to meet your criteria of walking distance your best bet will probably be the chongfah hotel or the ramada.

if you do not mind a 15 minute shuttle ride into the main town(s) you could look at the j w Marriott the le meridian and the sarojin hotels all of which have limited beach front restaurants nearby.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Help,with hotel please

For a wedding/honeymoon, the most popular luxury resorts are on the most beautiful beaches which are more secluded as NB1 has indicated. If you want to be more within walking distance of more restaurants and bars, there are the La Flora and Casa de la Flora (Khao Lak's first "6*" resort) both on Bnag Niang Beach. Just a short walk out of the main township of Bang La On is the excellent Paradise Resort on Sunset Beach. Pics of all the beach areas at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Sablet...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Help,with hotel please

Hi Arandora, You seem like the man to talk to. We went to Krabi, Sofitel, last year, loved the hotel but it was so cut off from anything to do in the evening. Now we are thinking of going to the khao Lak Laguna resort or Le Meridien, but as you said this hotel is changing hands, we are quite happy to organise ourselves during the day, but in the evening we love to walk, not too far and go out for supper. Which would you recommend. Thank you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Help,with hotel please

You have more options at the Laguna in terms of nearby restaurants, bars and ships within easy walking distance as it is right at the entrance to Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak. However, there are only limited options nearby for restaurants on the beach. The Laguna itself has one and there are a couple more in each direction. The Laguna itself does not have the best beach frontage and the loungers are on a grassed area which fronts the beachfront bungalows.

The Le M is located on the best part of the best beach in Khao Lak and IMO, particularly if the new management carries out some refurbishment, it remains IMO the 5* resort in Khao Lak to beat because of its location, accommodation types, facilities and not least its beautiful gardens. You don't say when you are thinking of going but if it is during the Dry (High) Season (November to April) you will find plenty of beachfront dining options in either direction. To top those up with a greater variety and some shopping or visits to, say, live music bars, the two main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On are not much over a 20 minute shuttle or taxi ride away.

If you have a look at this recent topic tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… there are more comments on the Laguna and links to pics of its location and in the same reply if you look at the comments on the Beyond Resort, which is about 300 metres north of the Le M, there is a link to pics of Pak Weeb Beach where the Le M is located.

Hope this helps.

Sablet...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Help,with hotel please

Thank you so much for your quick and informative reply. I am muddled, I would prefer The Meridien as it is the high light of our trip. Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai, the other hotels are just fine this is the one that is important to us. We have to come in January, tying it in with the umbrella festival in Chaing Mai, we travelled with Virgin last year and we got a really good deal, this year it is far more expensive for basically the same three week trip. When I have gone onto other sites there quote is even more expensive than Virgin. The Virgin hotels in Khao Lak are the two mentioned and the Sarojin which is well out of our league. Any other ideas? and thank you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Help,with hotel please

Why book wit Virgin? It would work out cheaper booking your own flights and hotels. You also have a greater range of hotels to consider. If you don't want to do that try Trailfinders, they are very competitive for prices, both flights and hotels or Netflights.com who quote for flights and hotels.

Sablet...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Help,with hotel please

Thank you for your reply. I did try Trailfinders but they were more expensive than Virgin, but today they sent me a mail and they are offering the econd week free!! How about La Flora resort, is that hotel better or worse than Le Meridien. Sorry to be such a pain in the ..... Many thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Help,with hotel please

Le M is is 5* located on a secluded part of the best beach whereas La Flora is 4* on the best part of Bang Niang Beach which is not as beautiful but with access to beach restaurants on both sides and just up the nearby roads to the highway. More facilities and bigger, better pools at Le M. Pool access rooms at La Flora are great. Lounging area near beach a bit close together.

Sablet...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Help,with hotel please

My goodness you are quick, thank you. OK have just come off the phone with Trailfinders, they have a bigger selection of hotels in Khao Lak, which one would you personally recommend, difficult one I know, but they all seem lovely on paper and we are blind if you like as we do not know the area. But this is the high light of our holiday, Bangkok, Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai are just fine hotels, not so bothered as we will be out all day, this is the one hotel that will make the holiday for us. Thank you in advance.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Help,with hotel please

Better you saying which ones Trailfinders have then you will get more views and probably information already posted. The Hotel review listings are I think a pretty accurate and honest assessment of the accommodation in Khao Lak. We don't tend to get many if any of the "dodgy" fake reviews that bring TA into disrepute in some places.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak