We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merlin Resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort, or Le Meridien

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
208 reviews
Merlin Resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort, or Le Meridien

Will be staying in KL from 3/14/2014-3/20/2014. Will have rental car. We are 2 seniors. Husband will be scuba diving-that's his priority. Since I will be spending the day by myself I'm looking for a place that has a super great pool-good size. Also on the beach or few minutes walk to the beach. Budget up to $300USD per night. Not a teeny, tiny room-something clean and comfortable with a bathtub preferred. Not far from restaurants and maybe some shops. I've looked at these 3 and they all seem very nice. I've also read on TA about the beach area shrinkage problem so would one of these be better than the others? Prefer beach to be calm-not interested in waves for surfing. Maybe there's some better place I've missed?

Since I have the rental car-will have International Drivers License-are there close by places to see that I could do on my own? Will be heading to Phuket after this stay.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 00:27
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Merlin Resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort, or Le Meridien

The NTBR1 has a very nice pool but I wouldn't call it particularly big. The Merlin is bigger but The Le M is super sized in comparison. None though compare with the J W Marriott on Khuk Khak Beach which has one of the largest pools in S E Asia with ground floor rooms that give direct access into a moat that borders the accommodation blocks and in which you can swim, paddle or float to either of the two swim up bars, to the main pool and right down to the beach.

The Le M has the best beach closely followed by the JWM with local restaurants nearby and with a car easy access to the main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On where there are lots of restaurants, bars and shops with lively market in Bang Niang three afternoons a week.

Have a look at the FAQ on the right for some self-drive trips.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
208 reviews
2. Re: Merlin Resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort, or Le Meridien

Is the turtle sanctuary open for visitors? Is this something closer to Phuket where we're staying in Kata Beach area? The self drive trips sound interesting. How is the traffic?

Husband will be diving-have checked Sea Dragon (his friend Tom K from Denmark e-mailed us about his recent diving with them). Another place I've checked is Big Blue. Can he get to these dive places walking from Le M or JW M or would they do a hotel pick up? I don't fancy dropping him off at some awful hour in the morning!

I'll probably check out the lively market you mentioned even though I'm not interested much in shopping. It would be good to soak up the atmosphere.

Thanks for the tips.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Merlin Resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort, or Le Meridien

Both the Turtle Conservation Centre at Tab Lamu, about 15 minutes from the centre of Khao Lak and the Marine Conservation Unit in Thai Mueang, about 25km from Khao Lak are open to the public.

Driving is relatively straightforward but you need to be aware in particular of scooters and motor bikes. Dive tours usually include pick up and drop off from customers' resorts.

Lots of local food stalls on the market for nibbles and a visit to the Takua Pa Old Town Walking Street Market on a Sunday afternoon is well worth it - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

4. Re: Merlin Resort, Nang Thong Bay Resort, or Le Meridien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 10:46