We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

U.K
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

Hi,

From what I have read I think there is only a handful of bars & restaurants near the Merlin but not sure which ones. If anyone can recommend any within walking distance it would be much appreciated.

Also I have printed a map off and was just wondering how far is it from Khao Lak Beach where the Merlin is to Bang La On

Bang Niang Beach

Khuk Khak Beach

I have also read that there is no tuk tuks in KL so would we need to get taxis every where or do they have similar to the Bemo in Bali. ( we are a family of six do they have mini vans for six or will we need two taxis)

Thanks Eve

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

You don't say when you are stayinmg at the Merlin as that will determine which restaurants are likekly to be open. Jo Seafood is one of the most popular and remains open all year. The nearby beachfront Baan Sutera restaunt is also very good with great views. "No more than a handful" is now probaly an old descrfiption as there is now quite a selection, on the beachfront and back upto and on the highway, all within easy walking distance.

From the Merlin to Bang La On is about 10 minutes by shuttle or Songthaew (truck with two (song) covered benches (thaew) in the back) which is the most popular form of local taxi and which will carry up to 8 passengers.

The FAQ on the right "KHAO LAK Maps" will give you links to a better selection of maps of the various locations in Khao Lak paricularly this one tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

U.K
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

Hi Arandora,

Thank you for your quick reply. We don't travel until April next year so doing loads of research now to try and help pass the time.

The link you gave me for the map is the one that I have printed off both North & South Khao Lak and stuck them together so I know it is roughly about 8Km one end to the other and it looks from the map that all resorts flow one into the other. So this is where I am getting confused because I have read some where about resorts at the other side of a mountain if this is the case how easy is it to travel between areas.

Thanks again Eve

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

The Khao Lak coastline is 25km south to north, starting at Poseidon beach which is an extension of Khao Lak Beach where you will be staying to the far end of Bang Sak Beach past the new Gracelands Resort, which is the furthest north. The mountain (as it is commonly referred to, is the headland that separates Khao Lak Beach from Sunset Beach and Nang Thong Beach which is the location of Bang La On. Even though it is only 10 minutes or so by taxi to cross over, it is a steep and windy climb up with no walkway until you reach the summit, which is the entrance to Khao Lak Lam Ru National Park. There is a walkway going down but it is exposed in both directions and both hazardous and very hot.

The map in this link gives you a better perspective of the area as you can zoom in and out and explore the detail. There is a host of other information on Khao Lak on the site too http://www.t-globe.com/khao-lak

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

hi just to confirm really what arandora has stated about the restaurants there is now plenty of places to dine at and never found a bad one.

we found the one on your left as you just turn in off the highway very good and also the one on the other side of the highway also decent.

a tip for you , when standing on the beach looking at the sea in front of the merlin turn left and walk round the headland, during late afternoon 1600 to 1700 hours it was a regular occurrence for one of the camps to bring the large ellies down to the sea for a bath and playtime.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

The ellies that NB! refers to are from the Preecha Elephant Camp which is just off Poseidon Beach. See pics at https:/…

U.K
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

Hi NorichBlue1 Thank you for the heads up on the elephants we are a big family of animal lovers elephants been one of our favourite.

Arandora Thanks again for sharing your photos it looks gorgeous can not wait.

7. Re: Distance & Restaurants from Merlin Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak