We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Khao Lak

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
Where to eat in Khao Lak

Hi we will be in Khao Lak in 21 more sleeps (13 June) and I was hoping someone can recommend places to eat that will still be open in June and sell a variety of foods (for adults and teenagers). Could you also roughly tell me where the place is as Im trying to mark everything on my map. We are staying at Fanari Courtyard and hope the places are walking distance away.

Thank-you :)

France
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

It would be nice to start from here:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g297914-Khao_Lak…

There are lots of restaurants listed and you can read reviews from travelers there. Some of those restaurants seems to have excellent reviews and probably you can try.

Good Luck!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Plenty of other information in the FAQ on the right "What is Khao Lak like in the Wet Season?"

From the Fanari you are in easy walking distance to many restaurants nearby and up on the hghway (Dang Thao and Takieng opposite the 711 and Hill Tribes further down past the Police Boat with Mars Bar in between)and only 10 minutes by taxi to Bang La On where you will find the greatest number available. Which particular ones remain open varies from year to year but it is usually the most popular ones.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
3. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

A few tasks to send the kids on while you settle in....

Exit Fanari and walk down towards the beach, turn right (north) and go to the far end of the road past all the resorts. There might be something open on the beach there. Good for breakfast.

Exit Fanari and walk away from the beach, turning right (south). There is a short cut across some waste ground that will save you some time if your walking to town - dry weather only.

Try and eat in some places where everybody eating looks Thai and not Foreign. Get past the language barrier and can have a great meal (but probably very very spicy).

STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALDS :-) (sorry for shouting)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Thank-you so much everyone for all your help/advice :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Jamie

"Exit Fanari and walk away from the beach, turning right (south)." - turning left to go south, I think. ;-)

The short cut I think you are referring to has been closed off, earmarked for future development and whilst I would agree "Try and eat in some places where everybody eating looks Thai and not Foreign." may be appropriate in some destinations, the majority of restaurants in Khao Lak are local and predominantly tourist customers. Thai visitors are not that common and local workers dining would use the growing number of noodle stalls. Following your advice would deny visitors the delights offered by excellent restaurants such as Smile, Hill Tribes, Dao Thong, Takieng, Rusty Pelican (for Mexican), Bavarian Restaurant (for German Thai) and many more.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
6. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Walking inland from Fx is east, right of east is south across the shortcut, then left heading east again as you hit the road to town...

Anyway, if its blocked off then it doesn`t matter now. :-/ What are they building and is it made of concrete. eeek.

Yep, i don`t mean always eating in places frequented by Thai, just have an occasional experience of that kind of food and culture. And, I would agree try all or some the places you mention, we do.

But Mexican!!, surely some line is crossed there.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Why is eating Mexican any different than ,say, having a pizza? The Rusty Pelican tostada salad and fajitas are superb as is the chili con carne made to a secret recipe. A growing number of different cuisines is making Bang Niang the centre of international restaurants to suit all tastes. Mexican, German, Italian and Japanese as well as southern Thai and northern, Chiang Mai (Hill Tribes) and Chiang Rai (Daow Thong) offer great choices. Thinking of the kids who might not want Thai all the time.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Arandora

Hope u can help. We are in Ao Nang until Sunday b4 going to Khao Lak.

At this moment we haven't booked a hotel but would like to stay in a busy area although it's low season without having to rely on taxi cabs. Probably 4 star under £50 per night.

Your recommendations would go a long way in helping us choose.

Kind regards

Jim

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

Looking at availability on Booking.com the following 4* resorts come up within your budget: and in either Bang La On, where most restaurants, bars and shops will be open, or Bang Niang, where there will still be enough going on but quieter:

* Baan Khao Lak Resort - excellent Thai style resort right at the entrance to Bang La On and directly on southern end of Nang Thong Beach

* Monochrome Resort - new resort right in the middle of Bang Niang. Gay Friendly but "straights" just as welcome

* Khao Lak Bhandari - Thai style resort just across the beach road from Nang Tong Beach and easy access up to centre of Bang La On.

* Sensimar Resort - special offer at the moment on this brand new and very nice Adult Only Resort. Just south of the Baan Khao Lak on Sunset Beach.

* Sea View - recently taken over by Centara Group, either side of beach road on Nang Thong Beach with direct access up to centre of Bang La On.

* Paradise Resort - excellent Thai style resort on Sunset Beach. Walk into Bang La On down the hill, taxi back. Super restaurant.

* Palm Beach Resort - near Paradise on same beach

My preferences would be Paradise, Sensimar and Baan Khao Lak.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
404 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Where to eat in Khao Lak

I eat all foods and my kids are not too bad (medium spicy level) and a variety of food is fantastic. The reason I was asking is more that we only eat at venues where the food is safe to eat, that we wont get sick. We will be in KL for 4 days and I dont want to spend the days having deep and meaning chats with the porcelin bowl (if you know what I mean :)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak