We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
538 reviews
Save Topic
An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Hi,

Just returned from 3 days at the Merlin Beach Resort at Tri Trang and 4 days at the JWM in KL.

The weather was mostly great ... a little overcast for a few hours on a couple of days ... a couple of hours of fairly light rain over the entire period ... and a couple of thunderstorms overnight.

All beaches were open ... the waves were mainly small and many people were in swimming.

Most of the beach restaurants to the right of the JWM are still open including Ma Ma Greetings (our pick for best of the beach restaurants), Phen, Blue Mist, etc ... plus the first one to the left of JWM is still open.

Also had a couple of meals at my favourite "The Orchid Cafe" in Bang La On ... still as good as in my previous review ... with a slightly expanded menu.

Will furnish full reviews over the next week or two.

Any questions, yell !!

Regards Jeff

Waitara, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Yay! Thank you! I'm back there in 2 weeks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Did any of the restaurants near JWM say when they were closing, if at all?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Hi Alan,

No indication given or displayed at any restaurant we visited except Ma Ma Greetings where I asked and they advised that they would be moving ... but didn't seem sure when.

Regards Jeff

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Can't wait to hear more--we're staying for 4 nights in early July so timing is perfect..

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Jeff

Thanks for the info, we are off in 21 days for our first visit to KL also staying at JWM hoping some of these restaurants will still be open when we are there :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

My friend Nop tells me the restaurants will close "when the big waves come" which is "about June".

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Thanks Arandora

Donna

England
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Do they all shut? We are going August 12th! Will there be anything open at all? We are saying in the JW Marriott but was hoping to eat elsewhere, I dont want to be stuck in a hotel for 4 nights!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

This thread explains the situation and gives information about other dining options tripadvisor.co.uk/…49621463

The Top Question FAQ in the right "What is Khao Lak like in the Wet Season?" gives more information.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: An update on KL and beach restaurants near the JW Marriott

Thanks very much for the information. Will be staying at JWM around middle of June for four nights.Hopefully the weather will be fine. Do update on those dishes that you have tried and the price too. Wonder if we could have more choices for food in town. Please share your experience.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations