We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Does anyone know where the nearest mini market is by the jw Marriott and how much does it cost?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

The nearest mini mart is the 711 on the highway at Khuk Khak about 10 minutes or so from the JWM but it will only have very limited supplies of wine. Better to take the hotel shuttle or taxi from the JWM into Bang La On, the main township, which is only 5 minutes or so further on and go to the Nang Thong Supermarket where you will find the largest and cheapest selection of wine in Khao Lak. Cheapest decent regular sized bottle is about 460 baht although you can buy 1.5 litre bottles or larger sized boxes. South African Mont Clair is a decent wine and is the most popular and reasonably priced brand.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Thanks for your prompt reply. Its the first time over to Thailand. Good to get research done early so you can get into relaxing quicker. Any idea of the cost of a glass or a bottle of house wine on the local beach, ie blue mist or other restaurants? and are there any restaurants on the strip or beach you could recommend? We are going as a family, two older children (28 and 26) who have almost zero money! Also interested in best places to organise trips?

Thank you in advance

regards

Lynne

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Hi Lynne

When are you going to the JWM? The restaurants adjacent to the JWM are to the right are scheduled to close and relocate over this Wet Season (now to end of October) although there is one to the left and a couple more near the main entrance. You might want also to give the new Sun Ray restaurant a go, it's not too far away and you can take your own wine - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

A bottle of wine in a restaurant will cost anything from about 600 - 800 baht upwards and a glass 100 - 150 baht. You can book trips at the Blue Mist and others in that row, Ma Ma Greetings, the end one, being our favourite and best food IMO. Tew Son is also excellent. There are plenty of tour shops in both Bang Niang and especially Bang La On and as tours are competitive it's worth shopping around.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Hi arandora, so, if I understand correctly, there will be no restaurants on the beach when we go in December?? Where will they be, still next to the hotel but just set back from the beach? Sorry to sound a bit dim, I was really looking forward to dinner on the beach each night.....cannot wait for December! Many thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

As far as I understand they will still be on the beach but set further back from the high tide line. Last year throughout the entire Dry Season, restaurants had to move any loungers off the beach because the tide was coming in higher than previous years. This would be much worse than in previous years in the Wet Season, so moving them back is both a sensible and safe move and hopefully will allow them to remain open all year without having to close in the Wet Season and then repair the damage usually caused before re-opening in October.

No reason to believe that you, and we, when we return, won't be dining on the beach there. In fact I can envisage more tables and chairs on the beach for dining than previously in front of the restaurants.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
923 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

That makes sense. Phew, thank goodness for that. Roll on those evenings sat on the beach eating dinner and drinking cocktails...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Thanks Arandora. We are actually going in March of next year. I start my research early lol! I hope that is the right season to go as we have booked now. Wine is a little more pricey than I thought it would be, but if that keeps local traders going thats great. How much would you recommend tipping?

Thanks

Lynne

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Thanks Arandora, We are actually going in March of next year, I like to do my research early. lol. What are the temperatures like in March? Have you any advice on tipping after drinks or a meal?

Lynne

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Hi Lynne,

The weather in March is usually getting hotter as the Wet Season approaches at the end of April. You may get afternoon thunderstorms but still plenty of sun. Tipping, although becoming more frequent is not obliagatory or expected. Usually just round up to nearest 50 or 100 baht or leave the change if it is not excessive.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to buy cheap wine near the jw marriot

Thank you. I note you mentioned in the wet season some restaurants re locate. Is March considered wet season and do you believe the beach restaurants will be where they usually are?. I take it temperatures are 28 to 30 degrees c.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations