We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Oz
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Hello. Need info on the Walking Tour. Where does it start? Is it Sundays only? What time? How long does it go for? Etc. TIA.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
462 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Hi Oz I'm glad you asked this question as I'm interested in this too. I had read somewhere the following:

Best time is late afternoon on Sri Takua Pa street. To get there from Takua Pa bus station hire Songthaw (about 250-500bht) See about doing this along with a canoe trip with "Little Amazon".

I don't know if this is every afternoon or Sundays so it would be great to get an answer on this. Also what would be the recommended way to get there. ( We will not be hiring our own car). The street with the market sounds lovely, like Hoi an which I have always wanted to go to. The markets sound wonderful too like a food festival!!

Mentioned in this post
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

The Old Town Walking Street Market is every Sunday afternoon from about 2pm to 7pm but best time is about 4pm after the heat of the day has died down. It is the main street in Taka Pa Old Town which is closed for traffic for this period. If staying in Takua Pa ccontact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com or Green Andaman Travel at http://www.greenandamantravel.com/ for a tour here or combined with Little Amazon (trip down river from Takua Pa).

See pics from earlier this year at https:/…

Mentioned in this post
The Old Phuket
The Old Phuket
2,051 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,028 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Green Andaman Travel
Green Andaman Travel
204 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Oz
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Thanks. Looking forward to it tomorrow.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
462 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Thankyou. Arandora. I love the pictures!

I hope you enjoy the day aimagjc. Maybe if you can when you have time you will report back on how you did it and what you thought of it.

Oz
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

We loved it! We got there around 4 pm to see the street a hive of activity. Just about every local was there. Food heaven. We had some pork and black pepper soup, fried egg noodles with onion, soy sauce and shallots, fish cakes, a cold corn milk drink, and a range of doughnuts. There are some really interesting shops in the street. We met a lovely family whose Chinese ancestors settled in the town many generations ago. The plan is to go back to the Old Town during a normal trading day to get an idea of "Life On The Street". This Walking Market is highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
The Old Phuket
The Old Phuket
2,051 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
warwickshire
Level Contributor
462 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Thank you for getting back with a report. Definitely one to do! Who did you book with and were you able to explore on your own?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Thanks for feedback. Topic added to FAQs for future reeference for other members.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

How long will it take to get there by car from The Sands and how much time should we allow once at the market street ? Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

It's a 20 - 30 minute drive and how long you want to spend is upto you and particularly how much time you spend sampling the various offerings at the food stalls. I would think a couple of hours at most.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Takua Pa Old Town Walking Tour

Thanks. I'll get on to Boss to arrange transport.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak