We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
587 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

I have asked another version of this previously, but we have done research and made reservations, and so I hope that my questions will be clearer than before. We will be on the MV Oktavia which will arrive at Taplamu Pier at 17:30 on 26 Feb 2014. We will need various transports and I am wondering if using "The Boss" or others would be better or would renting a car be better?

Here is the itinerary:

1. Leave Pier and go to Khao Sok NP, staying at Hotel Khao Sok (2 nights)

2. Go to Ratchaprapa Dam on 27 Feb and hire a boat (should we do this privately or rely on the hotel or tour company???)

3. On 28 Feb.: Drive to hotel/resort near airport (hopefully via one or more of the temples along the way)

4. Go to Ao Por Pier for Hong by Starlight tour (don't know if they do pickup from our hotel area--Perennial Resort Mai Khao area)

Would getting a taxi/driver even be possible for these legs of our trip? We enjoy self-driving, but don't know if it is possible in a country that uses a different language/alphabet than we know. All advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sally in Seattle

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Perennial Resort
Perennial Resort
240 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Mai Khao
Mai Khao
Phuket, Thailand
khao lak
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

hi, a self drive to the places you mentioned is easy,the road signs are also in english,there is a nice back road to khao sok,that cuts out takua pa. on the way back from the dam you take a left which will take you to a place called ta put,on that road, there is a lovely temple on a mountain offering great views.that will take you to the main road krabi..phuket driving through phang nga. go for the self drive.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

I agree with Andy that self- drive to and from Khao Sok is both easy and very pleasurable. The only reservations I would have are first you would have to hire a car from a company that allows one way rental I.e. pick up and drop off . Budget does this as does I think Hertz. The rates are correspondingly higher and local outfits may allow it but at a premium. You should also ensure your rental includes Full Insurance with either no or low excess (deductible) in case of claim as you will be leaving the vehicle in fairly remote and unsupervised places e.g. Neat the pier at Cheow Lan. Also make sure you obtain an International Driving Permit before leaving home in order to drive legally in Thailand. Please read the FAQs on the right about Licence Requirements.

It is very easy to hire a long tail boat trip directly at the office at the pier at Cheow Lan where you will be presented with a "menu" of options from which you choose your tour to suit where you want to visit, how long you want to take and how much you want to pay.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
587 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

Thank you for the advice re the self-drive. Also the info on the temple! Arandora, thanks for your input, also. I was thinking to get a Budget car because of the delivery and one-way options. It is a little scary because the first experience driving will be through town and in the dark. We have driven in other countries, just not in Asia (well, Asian Turkey, if that counts.)

Sally

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

If you leave Tab Lamu about 5.30 the most of your journey will be in daylight. Sunset is about 6.30 in February and the only towns you will drive through are Bang La On, about 15 minutes from the pier, Bang Niang, 5 minutes further on, and you will be on a 4 lane highway, then Takua Pa 20 minutes further on where the highway by then wil be 6 lanes. From there to Khao Sok is highway through countryside. A very straightforward drive - just keep on the left! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
587 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

That is great information. I didn't know that KL has such huge highways! You have relieved my mind a great deal. It is exciting how this trip is coming together. Interesting also how full up the hotels and resorts are already (in KL, anyway).

Sally

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

The highway through Khao Lak is the main one running from the Malaysian border to Bangkok so you should be wary of fast moving heavy vehicles and express buses during your journey. It is mainly two lanes except for the wider parts I have mentioned between Khao Lak and Khao Sok. You can buy good road maps of southern Thailand at most 711 mini markets.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
7. Re: Advice re self-drive to Khao Sok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 10:47