We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Likelihood of seeing a leatherback turtle?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
604 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Likelihood of seeing a leatherback turtle?

I just found out that historically my favorite sea turtle, the leatherback, nested in the Khao Lak area AND that the nesting season is during the time that we will be there (Feb. 2014) AND that they nest during the full moon (which will be 16 Feb and we arrive 19 Feb). I also read that you can go to the NP HQ at Thai Muang Beach and hire a warden to guide you to a likely nesting spot. Is this true and can you reserve a warden ahead of time so that one is available the night you want to go? I know that sea turtles have been getting scarcer and scarcer world wide and especially on the crowded beaches, but since this is a NP, I was hoping that there were some available and that the officials allowed respectful tourists to view them. Thank you for any information.

Sally in Seattle

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Likelihood of seeing a leatherback turtle?

The Marine Conservation Unit is down the beach road in Thai Muang which is about a 30 minute drive from Khao Lak (depending on where you are staying). Here you will see turtles of various ages, sizes and types in tanks along with fish from tiny Nemos to huge sea groupers plus beautiful sea anemones, all of which are being readied for release or placement back in the ocean. The National Park HQ is about 800 metres further down the road. Either of these places is where you will find information on the possibility of viewing nesting spots. See this link for description of how to get there by self-drive (along with other trips) tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha…

You can view turtles nearer to Khao Lak, just 15 minutes away at the Turtle Conservation Unit operated by the Royal Thai Navy and located on their base at Tab Lamu. Directions and location are again contained in the self-drive link. Turtles hatched on one of the Similan Islands are brought to the Unit and put into tanks and looked after, including sick ones nursed back to health, until they are about a year old when they are taken back to their birth place and released into the ocean, thus increasing their chance of survival from predators from about 10% to about 85%. There are some large adult specimens there too.

Local taxis will take you to either of these places and you could easily do both in one day.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
604 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Likelihood of seeing a leatherback turtle?

THANK YOU for this info!! You're the best!

Sally

3. Re: Likelihood of seeing a leatherback turtle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 10:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations