We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Optical shops?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Optical shops?

Are there any reputable optical shops in Khao Lak? Originally we were going to have our tests and glasses made in Bangkok, but as we are staying on Khao Lak for 10 nights I thought that would be plenty of time for optical tests and the making of the spectacles. I'm guessing that the lenses will be made in either Phuket or Bangkok, if so, is 10 nights sufficient time?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Qld
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Optical shops?

Can highly recommend Andaman Optik at Nanthong Beach, next door to Monty's the tailor on main road. Have had my eyes tested and new glasses made there for the last 3 years. Small family business, very professional and good job. Much cheaper than Aust.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Optical shops?

I agree with iammaurs. We have used Andaman Optik for the past few years for both regular spectacles and optical sunglasses for myself and my wife. We have either used our current prescriptions or he has carried out an eye test. We have chosen either real (as opposed to copy) designer frames or local ones, variously in plastic, stainless steel or latterly titanium with Varilux varifocal light sensitive lenses, all with no complaint and all at excellent prices. After sales service (as regular return visitors) is second to none. Last year when my wife went for a new pair of spectacles, without prompting he took mine and replaced the lenses with newer, thinner ones at no extra cost. Just last week my wife collected another new pair of day to day spectacles, titanium designer frames, Varilux etc.. Took just 1 week and cost 8,000 baht.

When the optician noticed that my frames were not ones he had supplied about 3 years ago and I explained that I had worn his out and broken the hinge but had not brought the frames with me, he reduced my wife's bill by 2000 baht as compensation. Again entirely unsolicited and unexpected.

It is an independent with just another branch operated by his brother in Phuket.

Highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Optical shops?

Thanks guys for your replies and recommendation.

You have convinced me and as we had intended on visiting Monty the tailor following strong recommendations on this forum, we will now also be visiting Andaman Optik.

Mentioned in this post
Monty The Tailor
Monty The Tailor
44 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Optical shops?

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but whereabouts is he located.

I had a look last night and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Angela

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Optical shops?

Andaman Optik is on the left hand side of the highway leaving Bang La Onback towards Phuket just before you reach the entrance separating that block from the Khao Lak Grand Plaza, the big yellow building at the end of the dual carriageway. If you find the one at the end of that block it is the wrong one, you need to go bak past Monty's to the next block.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Optical shops?

just picked up my reading glasses, really pleased.

amazing price, under £20.

think i will have some lomg sight ones made as well.

can recommend this chap. very friendly and helpful.

angela

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Optical shops?

Following advice in this forum, I have ordered new glasses from Andaman Optics. I went to my optician in UK for an eye test and to price Varilux Transition lenses. I was quoted a price of £368 plus frames. Andaman Optics are charging £230 for lenses and frames. My wife has ordered a pair too!

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Optical shops?

You will not be disappointed!

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Optical shops?

Anyone who knows if they have email? I would like to know if it is possible to bring frames from Sweden and only get lenses?

Katarina

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Optical shops?

Do you mean changing lenses in an existing frame? Then the answer is yes. Email is andam-optik@hotmail.com The optician's name is Sitta Sangsuriyo

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations