We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak or phuket in September

Carlow
Level Contributor
115 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak or phuket in September

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out where to visit in September and am struggling a little bit.

We're hoping to go to Bangkok, chiang mai then on to a beach location.

I know I'm taking a risk with the weather in September but really want to see the gorgeous iconic scenery like they have in Phang Nga bay rather then on the koh samui side.

I'm looking for a relaxed, area with a good selection of places to eat and nice waks (things to look at basically!!)

I think phuket might be too busy/hardship (taxi mafia, parties etc) but khao lak might be too quiet (few shops open, no tours available).

What do you think!!??

I'm soooo excited about going to thailand eventually!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

September is historically one of the wettest months on the Andaman for both Khao Lak and Phuket. However, last September had less rain than previous years and accommodation is half or less than in High Season. Phang Nga Bay is just over an hour to the south and Khao Sok National Park/Cheow Lan Lake about the same to the north and tours should be available to both at competitive prices. Whilst some restaurants and shops do close plenty remain open.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

You never know with the weather but if you've decided to go to the andaman coast at least you know what to expect, you don't say how long you have for the trip but if it's more than a few days you could split it up between Phuket and Khao Lak but if you have to choose just one then although I prefer Khao Lak I think Phuket would be a better option in September.

Carlow
Level Contributor
115 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

We've planned about 5 days and its ear marked for relaxation so hope to keep to one place.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

Then I would, of course, recommend Khao Lak. :-)

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

Khao Lak is much quieter, great hotels, nice beach, and loads of places to eat and shop.

We went to Kata in 2001, and it was nice and quiet. We went back last year for a day to see if it had changed, and the beach, from being almost deserted in 2001, was very busy, and we were very glad that we were not tempted to go there for the full fortnight - 30 minutes was plenty

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

another vote for khao lak

Phuket, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

I am in the process of moving from Rawai to Khao Lak. Phuket has become so crowded I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I can remember when Rawai was a quiet beach side community. Sadly the Russians have found it and like certain other parts of Phuket, it’s akin to being in mother Russia.

Phuket, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

I am in the process of moving from Rawai to Khao Lak. Phuket has become so crowded I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I can remember when Rawai was a quiet beach side community. Sadly the Russians have found it and like certain parts of Phuket, it’s akin to being in mother Russia.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 18:48
9. Re: Khao Lak or phuket in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations