We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

After deciding to go to Sri Lanka, then changing out mind to go to Bali. We have now changed our mind again! and decided to go to Khao Lak, Thailand. Simply because the beaches just looked so much nicer.

We have decided on the JW Marriott, although we have heard som mixed reviews about this hotel, for instance that the service is not as good as it originally was. Can anyone clarify this that may have been recently? or can anyone suggest another hotel with a spa?

The other thing were the rooms, I am really confused!!!!. We will be booking the swim up room, however after looking at the website, it looks as though all the rooms are facing the back of a building?! I really dont like this :-(. I can't figure out the layout and not sure what room to ask for. We want the most private room, but with a ocean view, is this possible? If so, can anyone suggest some room numbers? I would really appreciate your help pleeeease.

We will be going mid March 2014 and have also read some mixed reviews about the weather. Has anyone been in March and experienced any rain?

Lastly, has anyone been on any of the day tours around Khao Lak area? we are interested in seeing the temples, Elephant trekking and possibly the National Park which I have heard is not too far. Has anyone been on any of these tours? and were they any good?

So sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure of everything before I book it. I would really appreciate any responses. thank you in advance! x

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

We were last at the JWM December 2011 when the service was excellent and will be going there for 3 nights next week and do not expect it to be any different.

There are a number of hotels in Khao Lak with Spas, most include the word Spa in their title if you do a search on a booking site. The other 5* resorts in Khao Lak all have Spas, namely Le Meridien, Sarojin and Casa de la Flora.

I'm not sure what images give the impression of rooms looking out at the back of a building. The resort is in 2 areas. Blocks 1 and 2 look across the huge (one of largest in S E Asia) main swimming pool and are side sea facing. The ground floor pool access rooms have no steps leading into the feeder pool that runs all around each of the blocks into the main pool. The pool access rooms at the beach end of Blocks 3 and 4 have steps down into the feeder pool and look over a second swim up bar and private (but very hot) lounging area, The rooms at the top end of these blocks form the family accommodation overlooking the children's play area. Block 3, ocean end , are recommended as best rooms for pool access with steps.

See our pics from Dec 2011 which may show the resort layout better than the ones you have been looking at here https:/… Our room was in the family accommodation, hence the toughened glass barrier and gate to the pool.

Weather in March in our experience since 2006 is mostly hot and sunny with occasional afternoon thunderstorms, except two years ago when there was lots of rain over all of SE Asia and this year so far has been the hottest and driest. It is still Dry Season so you should expect lots of sun and heat but as with all tropical climates rain and thunderstorms are often threatened but also often do not appear.

There is plenty of information in the Top Questions on the right about Things to Do in Khao Lak. "Are they any good?" is a very subjective question. It might be better to read those Things to Do then ask specific questions about those that interest you most or use the search box at the top to find previous views.

There is a separate forum for Khao Sok National Park again with lots of information in the Top Questions at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1657011-i16537-…

Hope this helps you firm up your plans.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,500 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,866 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Casa de La Flora
Casa de La Flora
577 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,138 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

Hi Patricia

Welcome to Trip Advisor.

Have a look at the JWM and other hotels you like under Khao Lak accomodation here on TA.

Read the reviews to get a good idea on how service is at the hotel currently. I tend to rely more on reviews from fellow countrymen (and women) as I have found some nationalities have far differing expectations.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

JWM is amazing - we have just returned from a. 2 week stay . The service is excellent and the hotel 5* +++++we were in room 4015 pool access with steps directly in . It was awesome but not much sun - I think if you chose room 3015 and around ( which was opposite) it would have sun - you won't be disappointed !! The children's pool was very quiet when we were there .

Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

Thank you all for your responses!! Much appreciated!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

Hi Patricia

We were at the J W Marriott for 3 nights from 19 March 2013 ..... what a fabulous location and my new favourite place in Thailand. We had a pool access room, number 1028, which is a short walk and short swim to the beach side of the resort, see my review on the J W Marriott. The weather was amazing, around 36.C every day and very warm and delicious at night ....... I absolutely fell in love with the resort and the beach and the beach restaurants, the whole experience actually. I have only one regret ............... that we didnt stay longer, much longer.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

Oh that's so nice, sounds amzing! i'm even more excited!!!!

7. Re: Honeymoon to JW Marriott Khao Lak March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak