We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice (probably again)

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Choice (probably again)

Hi - due to a change in holiday plans this year (we were going back to Barbados but cancelled as the cost was getting too much). We holidayed at Cape Panwa, Phuket a couple of Septembers ago, and I thought about going back there but came across Khao Lak somehow, and it looks like the right kind of place for us. I know September can be rainy but when we were in Phuket last time it only rained in the mornings and at night and we dont have a problem with that.

We are looking for a hotel where we can walk to local restaurants/bars,and shops, but equally the hotel food and drink is not too expensive if we want to eat in. The beach must be good, and if poss not too rough/rocky. We dont like noisy resorts,nor too many children, and an on site spa would be nice. We would like a room with a balcony/terrace - sea view if poss and decorated in Thai style. Our budget for 9 nights accomm is up to £650 but less would be great.

I know that I'm being a bit picky but will have to sell this holiday to husband who thinks I have cancelled the idea of any holiday in September to save the money!!

Thanks

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice (probably again)

If your going in September don`t be too quick to book any hotels yet. From previous years trips, the price really drops on some hotel comparison sites towards the end of the low season. A few hotels close down but the ones that are left usually have very few customers, so no fear of anyplace being full.

Maybe see you there ;-)

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice (probably again)

others will no doubt comment about weather prospects in september and I am in no position to comment about that as we have only travelled to thailand jan-march. We have also never been to the carribean (although I did grow up near a beautiful beach in new england where we still go to summer for a week or two each year, so I can appreciate soft white sand and exclusive beaches).

We absolutely adore khao lak. have been to a number of other beach areas of thailand and KL knocks the spots off all of them, in my view. Simply put, it is heaven. Our hotel is probably not what you are looking for, because, although beachfront, is more isolated than what you seem to be searching for. We love the relative isolation, and the food is decent both in the hotel and a few small beach bars/restaurants nearby. Sometimes we utilise the shuttle into the nearby town to eat and buy some 'house supplies' such as adult beverages and snacks, and other times we remain at the hotel and sip cocktails on the balcony overlooking the sea before an evening walk on the shoreline.

Khoa lak also has lots of other hotels also beachfront which have more eateries and shops nearby and I am sure one of them will suit you. You really can't go wrong.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice (probably again)

Sue, I think, is referring to the Orchid Beach Resort which will be closed during the forthcoming Wet Season (May to October) for further room renovations. With reference to Jamie's advice, most on-line booking agencies will already have Low Season rates locked in so as to secure bookings. That is not to say that there won't be specials offered later if you are prepared to wait,

Travelzoo have a great offer on for the next 6 days for the superb 5* J W Marriott on Khuk Khak Beach which at £195 for 3 nights plus extra mights at ^5 per night including breakfast and extra goodies comes in well within your budget. See travelzoo.com/uk/…42973 There are local restaurants adjacent on the beach which may or may not be open depending on the weather and others near the main entrance. The townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops are only about 10 minutes away by shuttle or taxi.

If you want to be on the beach near either of those places consider the Ramada, La Flora and Riverside in Bang Niang and two new resorts, the Sands and Sensimar (Adult Only) on Nang Thong Beach (beach for Bang La On. Just over the mountain on Khao Lak Beach, the one nearest to Phuket) the Merlin is very popular in the Wet Season.

4. Re: Hotel Choice (probably again)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations