We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
62 reviews
Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

When I was looking to book this trip I struggled finding any reviews for it. I got back yesterday so thought I would post a review for anyone interested.

Was picked up at hotel and on the boat by 7pm with about another 10 people. From there the boat headed for the Similans (about 5 hours) whilst we were shown around the boat and given dinner. The boat is fairly basic but I wasn't really expecting anything else so that was fine. There is a sun deck with bean bags for those wishing to sit up there, or sleep if the cabins were too hot.

Each day breakfast is at 7.30 and then it is usually followed by a snorkel or 2 before heading off. The first day proper was at the Similans. Getting there in the night meant that the first snorkel was before the day trippers arrived (a lot of them too). Saw some nice turtles there but the reef was pretty dead so just the usual reef fish too. Did another snorkel there afterwards at Donald Duck bay by which time the speedboats had arrives so it was off to Koh Bon, just over 2 hours. Again the reef there wasn't great and didn't see anything too exciting. If you are lucky though this is the place to see the Mantas. It was then off to Koh Tachai where we were to stop for the night. Before that though we went to the beach for a drink and a quick climb up the hill to see the sunset at the other side of the island. Tachai beach was incredible, one of the best I have seen. It was like walking on flour. Saw a couple of baby sharks in the shallow water off the beach too. Next day again was a snorkel after breakfast, slightly better than the other 2 places. Then it was off to the Surin Islands, I think about 3 hours. Once there we visited the sea gypsy village which was nice and then took a trip to a other bay where there were mangroves. For me this was the highlight, if you stand still here you will have loads of baby sharks swimming round your legs. An amazing experience. Later there was another snorkel followed by 2 the next morning. The Surins were by far the best, saw cuttlefish fish, moray eel, sea horses, clownfish, sea snakes and the usual array of reef fish. The coral here was in much better condition.

It was then. Time to head back.

I really had a great time on the boat. Ralf who runs the trip is very knowledgeable and also a great character (although his taste in music is somewhat suspect - Bavarian Reggae???) the crew were all lovely too and the food was very good and quite varied. They even cooked special dishes for the 2 vegetarians.

If you want to visit these islands don't do a daytrip with the hoardes, go with these guys, you won't regret it and Ralf will make sure you see the best of what they have to offer and you will have a great time along the way.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
208 reviews
1. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

Very interesting report as I never knew there were live aboard trips just for snorkeling. Was it just snorkeling or did they offer scuba also?

Thanks for the information about what you saw, condition of the reefs, overall experience with this company, etc.

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

There are 2, Poseidon Bungalows offer a similar trip. Can't comment on it but it is 2 nights and 3 days, the extra night this one offers is great for beating the crowds on the first day. They leave each Sunday and Wednesday. Sunday starts in Similans and Wednesday does it in reverse.

No it is only snorkelling on this, and therefore designed to go the best snorkel spots, which aren't necessarily near the best dive spots. They have a website which you should be able to find easily with more details and pictures of previous trips etc

There are plenty of liveaboard diving trips though if that's what you prefer.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

This is a snorkel only liveaboard. Have a search on the forum for recent topics about snorkeling and liveaboards.

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

I meant to say that it's the Andaman discovery that has the extra night. (3 nights and 3 days)

leiden
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
5. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

We recently went on the 3D/3N snorkel liveaboard with Andaman Snorkel Discovery in Nov 2013. Like many other people, we were looking for a snorkel specific liveaboard. We read many positive comments from other people and were interested with the itinerary published on their website.

I think we just had slight bad luck on our side. Firstly, we did not go to the Similans and the itenary changed due to bad weather (?), we did not visit the Moken village, and lastly, we spent some 4 hours in the afternoon sailing from Koh Surin to Koh Tachai. This was our first liveaboard but we expected to travel in the evening and not during the day when we could have been in the water. It is true that we were at spots where no other crowds were. However, there could be better guidance in the snorkeling, we were just pointed in a general direction and mostly on our own. In the end we still enjoyed the snorkeling and saw many marine creatures.

All in all, the accommodations were ok: basic bunk beds or the master cabin, the bathrooms were basic also. The food served was excellent, the cooks made authentic Thai home-cooked meals. The crew was also very friendly.

For us, we were mostly at one spot Surin and not sailing much so maybe it would have been better to camp a few days on Surin instead.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

I think you were really unlucky with the weather. Lots of day trips were cancelled due to the weather and sea conditions in November.

7. Re: Andaman Snorkel Discovery - review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak