We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre loaded cash card vs travellers cheques

Kent,UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pre loaded cash card vs travellers cheques

Going to khao Lak in 2 weeks time. A couple of travel agencies have told me not to take travellers cheques but instead take a pre loaded cash card. Has any one used one of these cards, and were there any problems? Do you still get charged 150 Baht every time with these cards ?

One travel agent told me not to take travellers cheques but trip advisor has already said these were ok, have things changed ?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre loaded cash card vs travellers cheques

Nothing wrong with American Express TCs but don't get Thos Cook ones as most banks in Thailand won't cash them. The charge is 33 baht per cheque so try and get large denominations. As far as I am aware pre loaded cards are subject to the 150 baht per withdrawal charge made by Thai banks.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre loaded cash card vs travellers cheques

we have started taking as much cash as we feel comfortable carrying to avoid all of these fees!

Perth
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre loaded cash card vs travellers cheques

Used a pre-loaded Aussie travel card last year.

We were charged 150 baht per withdrawal, so took the maximum amount out each time, which kept the charges to a minmium.

Cash works well if you are comfortable carrying amounts with you and keeping in your safe.

4. Re: Pre loaded cash card vs travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak