We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
31 reviews
Itinerary

Hi

our plan is to spend 11 nights in Khao Lak, 4 nights then a 3 day/2night liveaboard snorkelling trip, then 3 nights in Khao Sok NP (possibly with the last night on the lake??) then back to Khao Lak.

Does this sound OK? Re Khao Sok I was thinking of staying at Khao Sok Las Orquideas Resort as it gets really good reviews but do you think its worth foregoing the 'tree house' experience to stay here? The is the 2 of us and our 13 year old travelling

Thanks

Lynne

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary

Sounds a busy but adventurous itinerary. As for Las Orquideas, it is undoubtedly a "class" resort but is very Spanish rather than Thai. It depends how near to local and nature you want to get. We thoroughly enjoyed our tree house experience in the lovely Ban Khao Sok Resort.

Australia
Level Contributor
356 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary

Arandora is right about it being a busy itinerary. I just got back from a liveaboard and the sun and constantly being in and out of the water really takes it out of you. I am midway through 12 days in Khao Lak with the three-day liveaboard in the middle and am glad I chose to do just one major activity (and I am v fit, avid exerciser at home). But then everyone's different but given you're also Australian and Thailand isn't exactly the opposite end of the earth, there might be an argument to save something for next time. I strongly believe that once you come to Khao Lak you won't want to base yourself anywhere else in Thailand on future trips. If you want a recommendation for a liveaboard, I can give you details if you send me a direct message.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary

Oh dear. That was my attempt at a shorter, totally chilled out asian holiday (no 8hr bus trips, no sightseeing from 8am-11 pm because I haven't allowed enough time, and no 5 hour flights within Asia once there!!)

Thank you both so much for your feedback. I am now wondering if I should skip the khao sok bit this time. We also have 3 days in Kuala Lumpur.

Yes everyone does seem to love khao lak. I have been to thailand before but I rarely go back to the same places within a country though.......... So many places, so much on the bucket list, so little time!!! I've got whole continents to see yet! Hence not wanting to 'miss out' on khao sok. I guess I could do it one time from koh samui- I've never been there

Decisions decisions!

What I am hearing is my plan will still be on the hectic side of chilled out.

Thanks so much again. Really appreciate the feedback

4. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations