We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woohooo! Flights booked.....but do we come back to Khao lak?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Woohooo! Flights booked.....but do we come back to Khao lak?

Been home for nine weeks and simply couldnt get over not being there in Thailand. We're both just totally smitten with the place.

Khao lak was wonderful, Chiang Mai was just so cool, and Bangkok was everything and more.

The only problem is we can only get back the last three weeks of August and the thought of a billion sweaty poseurs and the inflated prices of Ko Samui and the Gulf coast just doesnt do it for me.

So,..... Andaman coast in the rain, still the best way to go?

Mind you, what I wouldnt have given to have been drenched by a good old fashioned deluge last November, not a sniff of rain/respite for our entire stay, perhaps rainy season might actualy be nice?

What do you reckon Arandora???

Perhaps see how the forecasts are when we get to bangkok, then decide?

M.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woohooo! Flights booked.....but do we come back to Khao lak?

Past few years August has been pretty dry mor mid Wet season. Seotember and October are "usually" the wettest months ut last November was wetter than October so what do I know?

Certainly waiting until you arrive in Bangkok is an option as undoubtedly there will be accommodation available in Khao Lak with prices half or less in most cases of High Season. Or you could take a punt and book some days in Khao Lak and then take it from there but weatherwise if it is a wet spell in Khao Lak it is likely to be similar along the Andaman Coast and affect Phuket, Krabi, Ko Lanta etc.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ko Lanta
Ko Lanta
Krabi Province, Thailand
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woohooo! Flights booked.....but do we come back to Khao lak?

Khao Lak is relaly nice! It gets my vote!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woohooo! Flights booked.....but do we come back to Khao lak?

I wouldn't let the chance of rain stop me...... but if you like the beach and are in the water a lot, you might not like the red flags that warn you of strong currents in he water. I've found that to be the case on Phuket in July and September, so August would probably be pretty much the same.

But if you are not counting on spending your time in the sea, go for it. Khao Lak is fabulous, and getting a good deal on the likes of the J W Marriott just really makes it perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
4. Re: Woohooo! Flights booked.....but do we come back to Khao lak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations