We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
154 reviews
Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Hi Arandora,

You being the Oracle on all things Khao lak - I'd really like to ask you about places to eat at the moment. I know this is a difficult one - but reviews aside, which would you say are your own personal top five right now?

After doing a little research and looking at all the great reviews and info here, I can see there are so many fab places to choose from. I only wish I could try them all, but I fear my 10 day holiday won't be long enough for that.

Also I'm guessing that as in Bali, wine may be in short supply, am I right?

Also "him indoors" can't do without a G&T in the hotel room pre-dinner so do you know if we can buy tonic and a bottle of gin at the 7-11?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Everyone has their own personal favourites but ours are:

1. Smile in Bang La On. Booking essential and patience waiting for meal a prerequisite, as you will be informed it is not a fast food joint. Decent wine served. Modern and chef's unique Thai cuisine.

Others in no order of preference:

* Hill Tribes on highway leading down from Bang Niang to Bang La On. Chiang Mai based cuisine

* Dao Thong on highway in Bang Niang opposite 711. Chiang Rai based cuisine.

* "World famous" Rusty Pelican Mexican restaurant opposite Bavaria House (German), Enzo's (Japanese/Thai), Pinnoccio's (Italian) on Bang Niang Beach Road but MaMa Tonie's in Bang La On is our favourite for Pizza.

* Boatyard Restaurant on Pak Weeb Beach and Sunset Bar on Khuk Khak Beach (ask for special dinner by Nop) for cocktails/drinks at dinner followed by dinner. Take your own wine.

* Joe's Steakhouse in Bang Niang for best steak in Khao Lak IMHO and decent house wine or by the bottle.

- and many more that I don't mean to offend by not mentioning.

Wine is served in most restaurants by the glass or the carafe (Mont Clair South African Red or White being the most frequent. Whilst 711s stock wines, the largest range of decent wines (plus gin and other spirits) is at the Nang Thong Supermarket in the centre of Bang La On.

Hope this gives you a good start! Others I am sure will add to the list and may disagree with our preferences.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

How much is the average meal out there Arandora?

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Thanks Arandora you're a star,

Good news on the wine front as I'm not a beer or cocktails girl.

I've saved your info to print and take with me for reference. I'm particularly looking forward to Nop's, Smile and Hill Tribes.

Can't wait.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Lee_Essex11

Typical price for a Thai meal in local restaurant is starter 80 - 100 baht, main course (chicken, pork, beef. shrimp. vegetables) 100 - 150 baht, sweet 50 - 100 baht, beer small 60 - 80 baht, large 80 - 120 baht, wine glass 100 - 150 baht, carafe 500 ml 300 - 500 baht, fresh fruit shake 60 - 100 baht, water 40 - 60 baht, sodas 50 baht.

dondenext,

You need to go to Sunset Bar and get them to contact Nop for you to arrange one of his sunset dinners as he runs an ellie camp and treks in the jungle now as his main job. His Thai mobile is 082-817-9155

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Thanks for the number Arandora,

Sorry - more questions. Depending on tides, we were hoping to walk to the Sunset bar along the beach from La flora, then after dinner get a taxi back from the nearest hotel (Thai Orchid?)

Would that be do-able? if so do you know roughly how long the beach walk would take? and what do you like to eat at Nop's, do you ask for something in particular, or leave it to the cook?

Also, my husband asks: do you know if it's possible/permissable to buy gin from either Bangkok or Phuket airport on our way out from the UK, or would it be better to wait until we get to Khao Lak? (Ha! I think he's terrified there'll be a great gin shortage.)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

From La Flora to Sunset Bar is a about 20 minutes stroll. If the tide is in you will have to come off the beach just after the Mukdara (next door to La Flora) as it is quite dangerous walking past the next few places at high tide and if the sea is rough. Then take first left and walk along the road parallel to the beach until you pass the Casa de la Flora and drop back onto the beach or carry on right to the end of the road and access beach there just before you cross the creek.

If the creek is too fast and deep after dinner or you don't want to walk just ask the guys at the Sunset Bar to call you a taxi. Some will come to Sunset Bar or meet you at the Orchid.

We had dinner last night with 2 fellow TA members celebrating their 25th Anniversary (Hi, Carol & Derek - great night, great to have our annual Khao Lak reunion!) and I'd asked Nop to prepare something special and different with a surf and turf theme. So we had pomelo with minced pork salad and spring rolls to start, followed by a plateful of giant BBQd tiger prawns with various sauces and chicken fillets and two deep fried "inside out" fish (deep fried then skin and flesh rolled away from the bone for easier eating) with accompanying sauces, fried rice with veggies and cashew nuts and deep fried vegetables. Accompanied by our BYO wine.

Nop's specialities are his chicken and pork satay, local Thai salad eaten in leaves from his garden or the jungle, fish BBQd in banana leaf.

He will make suggestions to you.

If you get gin at BKK airport you will not be able to take it on board with hand luggage. There is a small Duty Free in Phuket Airport just as you leave the luggage collection area but restricted range and not always as cheap as buying in local Nang Thong Supermarket which carries Gordon's, London Dry, Finsbury, Larios at not unreasonable prices. If hubby's referred choice is on offer in UK I would get it there. Our favourite is Bombay Sapphire and they had a special offer on at Manchester of 2 litres for £24 which we grabbed. After polishing those off, the Finsbury at about 500 a litre in supermarket is a perfectly acceptable replacement.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Arandora,

Much appreciated..

Bombay sapphire, or Tanqueray are our faves, but I think after all, we might risk putting one in our suitcase anyway. And wow! my mouth is watering after reading what you had for your dinner, sounds absolutely delicious. Hope you're having a great time (and avoiding those jelly-fish.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Tanqueray was much more expensive at Manchester and no offers. No problem packing 2 litres (max allowance) in your checked in luggage if you have space/capacity.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
9. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

Arandora,

I am planning my stay at KL in end March. Would like to thank for your information on the dining at KL.

Happen to notice dondenext mention about Sunset Dinner with Nop. I didn't come across any information on the web. But from your description, it just went to my must-try list. Can you kindly provide more info on it? Do I go to the Sunset Bar a day or two earlier to make reservation with Nop?

Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Queries for The Wise One. Eating and drinking.

kwck,

Yes, you arrange it with Nop (who during the day now runs an elephant trek) either by phoming him in advance on 082-817-9155 or going to Sunset Bar and contacting hom via the guys there.