We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for elephant trekking

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for elephant trekking

Hi, we will be in Khao Lak from 19th - 23rd January and have heard that the elephant treks here are some of the best to be found in Thailand. As I can't seem to find too much on this topic in the forum, could you please share some information on the best companies/tour guides to contact. We have 2 teenagers (16 & 18) so any other tour or trek ideas would also be most welcomed!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for elephant trekking

Not sure about "some of the best to be found in Thailand" so you need to be careful that is not advertising hype. There are now a growing number of elephant camps in and around Khao Lak, most of which work on the same format.

* Go to Elephant camp, watch ellies being prepared for trek.

* Mount your ellie and go on trek lasting an hour or so through various landscapes depending on the particular tour, either flat trek through rubber plantations and/or in and out of streams/river beds, most popular ones to a waterfall.

* Dismount, take more pics, have a drink of water.

* Return to base.

* Feed and perhaps help wash down your ellie.

* With some now, you can bathe with the ellies at the end.

These are three of the established ones:

* Asia Safari Park - located o the mountain side of the highway opposite Khao Lak Beach (near Merlin Resort) and a pretty rugged tour in and out of streams and river beds - see holiday-service-khaolak.com/en/asiasafaripar…

* Sairung Elephant Trek - located 20 minutes north of Khao Lak past the Le Meridien resort on the mountain side going towards Takua Pa. Flat trek (except when ellie decides to take a detour into a lagoon for a drink!!!) through a rubber plantation and open countryside ending at waterfall and return on same path.

* Supapaborn Elephant Camp - trek to waterfall and bathe with the ellies at the end. Also offers an ATV tour so may be of added interest to your teens - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Plenty of other information on Things to Do in and around Khao Lak in the link to the left and the FAQs on the right.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,847 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,469 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for elephant trekking

Thank you so much for your comprehensive response - great info that i will research later today although I agree that the bathing of the elephants and ATV tour look enticing for my teens so at this point would be leaning towards Supapaborn. My daughter is also crazy about turtles and I see that there is a turtle conservation centre at the naval base. Is that far from where we are staying at the Khao Lak Orchid Resort? Will we need a driver to get there and are there other sights we should consider close to it? I really appreciate your input!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for elephant trekking

You will need a taxi/songthaew for ellies and turtles. They will organise one at the Orchid for you. The Turtle Sanctuary at Tab Lamu is about a 20 minute ride. Nearby there is bamboo rafting on the river. Ask Eike in Reception or contact Boss on Cheaper than Hotel Taxis to arrange car and driver on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com He does an "around Khao Lak tour" that can cover both plus a waterfall.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
754 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,006 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for elephant trekking

Thanks Arandora! I will contact Boss again as I have already booked his services for our transfers to and from Phuket airport. I didn't realise that he does tours as well, so will have a chat to him about a trip to the turtles. Much appreciated! Karen

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
516 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
5. Re: Recommendations for elephant trekking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 05:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak