We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Hi we (3 ladies) will be arriving in Phuket on the 27th April for only 2 days, we are interested/curious about the Khao Lak areas. In your opinion would we be better to spend our time doing a jungle trip, or water based ie surin/similian, i have read its the end of the season for the boats out to the isalnds? We will be at Krabi before we arrive for eight nights so would of gone to many of the island tours from there and the waterfalls/caves/springs etc If this area is better i will make the effort but if its the wrong time of the year as in wind/swell i will find another alternative. Thanks :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

If you are staying in Phuket for only 2 days it is a long journey to go to Khao Sok National Park, the best place for a trek in the rain forest, about 3 hours each way depending on where you are staying in Phuket.

A day trip from Phuket to the Similan Islands which would be dependent on the ocean conditions on the day would also require a 2 hour trip to the departure pier near Khao Lak, one to the Surins a 3 hour + trip to the departure pier at Kuraburi. The islands you would visit from Krabi are different from both the Similans and Surins, which are renowned more for their underwater rather than land based activities.

With none of these options will you really be seeing much if anything of Khao Lak.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Ok thanks for the heads up onthe distance and time travelling ot get there, i didnt realize how far it is, maybe next time i should go up and stay and in the correct season to go to the islands, unfortunatly the people i'm with want to see Phuket, i've been there a few times b4 and not really interested, i will go to Freedom beach for the day instead and shop. Thanks again for the feedback :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Hi nene....Now,being dry season November - April is the correct time to visit the islands - Similans and Surins...

However,low season between May and October,the ocean can get quite rough and island trips are cancelled....

Late April....It is a bit of a lottery for ocean predictions and also if the boats are still going to the islands...??...

When do the boats stop their island trips Alan...??...Any particular date or when the swells arrive....??....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Hey thanks for the interest, i'm really on the cusp of the seasons, have freaked myself out a bit with jellyfish blogs, these days the weather is so unpredicatble all over the world, we are certainly having some weird weather here in Perth WA Australia in the past month. Perhaps if i could get a contact name and number of a reliable agent for when i'm their to ask about conditions and not get sold a tourist ticket to a crook day weather wise, this would be fantastic.

Its the same old story i want to see everything in a very short period of time and want it to be awesome...lol. Merry Xmas and thanks again. Jennene

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Cocotang,

The Similan Islands close on 14th May, the Surins on 30th April. Tours will go until then, weather permitting.

nene66

"Perhaps if i could get a contact name and number of a reliable agent for when I'm their to ask about conditions" - the problem is that at the end of the season weather conditions change daily and even overnight and are not so predictable. Often tours will be cancelled on the day or if you try to book the evening before because conditions are not favourable. So if you are staying in Phuket I'd advise contacting a local agent for Medseye or Fantastic Similans when you are there. I wouldn't take the chance of paying in advance before arriving in Phuket though.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

OK thanks for the advice on the boat trips, is it worth going up there for the countryside, it sounds lovelly as in Kho Sok (excuse spelling), i will be getting around a bit in Ao Nang Krabi area, i love waterfalls and rainforest type places?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Khao Sok is a vast area of rain forest with trekking trails and cooing or rafting on the River Som. At its eastern extreme is the awesome Cheow Lan Lake created when the Rachaprapha Dam was constructed and the valley flooded. Plenty of information at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1657011-i16537-…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

Awesome thanks for the link.

9. Re: Which trip on the boat from Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 15:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations