We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

Derby
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

I have just booked to stay at Le Meridien from 28th Jan for 9 nights in a Deluxe room which I understand are ground floor only.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth the £140 extra for the Premium room? I've been told the difference is 1st or second floor with a complimentary drink each day.

Also, does anyone know if the Rim Lay restaurant is still there? I've heard the Meridien has expanded & wondered if it had been affected. I ate here one in 2009 & had the best hottest spicy beef salad ever.. My eyes water at the thought!

Thanks in advance

Amy

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

depending on who you booked with makes a difference with the premium room ,we had a free cocktail per day and a once only meal with wine in any restaurrant or themed night.considering a cheap wine is about £40 in the hotel and the meal in the italian restaurant was about £50 per head for three courses and coffee you soon have your moneys worth.you are right in thinking it is the same standard of room on a higher floor.

yes rimlay is still there but was very disappointed with them this october just gone,and yes the le meridien has expanded their premium villa section virtually right up to the rimlay.

Derby
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

Thanks for the info, booked with Virgin as they had the best price at the time - no free meal offered though just a drink per day. Do you think the upper floors are worth it or are the ground floor rooms just as nice?

Thanks

Amy

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

It's a few year since we stayed at our still favourite resort in Khao Lak, the Le M, first time in a ground floor Deluxe room, which ironically at the time were more expensive than the upper floor rooms, the following year in a top floor room, which by then had become the more expensive ones. We much preferred the upper floor, sea facing, as near to centre of the block,room first for the view over the resort out to sea, especially sipping a G&T n the balcony at sunset, and secondly because we found the ground floor gloomy because of the foliage outside and lack of view from the terrace.

If I was booking now at that kind of premium I would pay it.

We had lunch at the Rim Lay the other day and found it as good as it usually is when we visit there each year to say hello to old friends.

The Pason Restaurant to the right just past the Beyond Resort is also an option as are the row of restaurants just across the creek (a more sturdy footbridge has been erected - how long it will last this time, who Knows!!!) particularly the longest established Ma Ma Lek's.

There is still a gap between the extended Le M and Rim Lay with work (not obtrusive) going on there to either extend the Le M further or build another resort which might impact in time on the Rim Lay but certainly not in your timescale.

Derby
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

Thanks Arandora, good to know we have a few restaurant choices in addition to Rim Lay.

I know what you mean about balconies... They are much better for sipping G&T than a terrace!

I also imagine them to be brighter.

I think the extra will probably be worth it if we take into account the 2 free drinks in resort that we'd probably buy anyway - I guess they're not cheap! It also said the upgrade included complimentary wired Internet access in the room (whatever that means) which would be useful to keep in touch with family.

Anyway thanks for your help... 7 weeks this Sunday!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

Wired internet you plug into your laptop if you take one but there is free wi-fi in the lobby area as well. I'll be posting links to some pics taken yesterday of the beach later to further whet your appetite.

Edited: 05 December 2012, 15:27
Derby
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

Oh please do, hopefully you've seen enough sunshine to take some nice ones!

Enjoy the rest of your trip & thanks for the advice :)

7. Re: Le Meridien - Which room.. Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations