We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Far is Good Snorkelling

Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
How Far is Good Snorkelling

I have read that there is no house reef near Khao Lak. Would anyone be able to tell me how long it would take (and what it would cost) to get to good snorkelling. We are trying to decide between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta for a vacation in January. We have been offered a good rate on a property at Khao Lak and this would probably suit us if we could find good diving or snorkelling nearby. We do not mind travelling by boat to get somewhere, but if it takes too long, or is expensive, we would probably not want to do this every day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Hi

If you take a look to the right hand side there's a FAQ"Where's best for snorkelling and Diving from Khao Lak" All the info you need is right there.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Day trips t6o the Similans, Surins or Koh Tachai are most popular but each is a 75 minute each way speedboat ride from their departure piers. At between 2000 and 2500 baht per person per tour I would suggest they are not an every day thing to do and are not really intended for the independent snorkeler/diver. Same would apply I think you will find in Koh Lanta.

Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Thanks Arandora- i appreciate your reply. Last year we were staying at Surin Beach and went on an excursion to the Similian Islands. We loved it but it was a very long day from Phuket. I have read the FAQ's (thanks luchyands) but in terms of snorkel and dive trips, I was really wondering also if there is anything closer than the Similians from Khao Lak? I agree that going there every day would not be feasible but we do love to dive and snorkel and I am wondering whether there are other options. Where would the independent snorkeler/diver go?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Hi,

Despite its many attributes sadly local snorkeling/diving is not one of them. Those wanting to indulge in these activities do day or overnight tours and/or liveaboards.

There is a small island, which a local company is calling "Secret Island" and just starting to promote a tour to there, which is just beyond the exit from the estuary at Tab Lamu where you will probably have departed from for your trip to the Similans. We went there a couple of years ago on a half day longtail boat trip which included a snorkel from the boat in deep open water and then one near the beach. Both sites are still recovering from the effects of the Tsunami and coral was only just beginning to regenerate and marine life was fairly limited. I hope this "Secret Island" tour doesn't hinder that regeneration. See our pics at https:/…

There are owners of longtail boats who will take you here from Bang Niang Beach but if not part of a tour I'm not sure that they supply equipment and, if so, what standard it is.

Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Thanks again Andora.

I guess that if we decide to go, we will at least be a lot closer to the Similians and a few trips out there would still be easier than from Phuket.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Hi Arandora, I just noticed that you mentioned a place called Secret Island?

How far would this be from Tab Lamu? we are staying at South Khoa Lak which is just up from Tab Lamu, and just looking at your pics dosn't look too far?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

You can see it from Khao Lak Beach. It is offshore from the entrance to Tab Lamu pier. How you would get there from your area, I don't know. Ask at the tour shop at Jo Seafood.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

Will do, at least its not so far.....we have Tachi Island organized for April with our thai friends from Bang Niang, this island we cant wait to visit.

9. Re: How Far is Good Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 15:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations