We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Beijing
6 posts
Save Topic
Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

I wanna snorkel at Surin Island for three day, I have never snorkeled before, but I'm a good swimmer.

Should I go with traveling agency, which will arrange a guide with us I suppose? Or just buy boat tickets to there, I heard they arranged two snorkel trips per day on Surin island, and rent tents and snorkelling equipment.

The latter is definitely cheaper, but I want a good snorkeling experience too. Any one joined the snorkelling trip they arranged on Surin island before? Is it great?

Any reply will be appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

This may help:

http://www.surinislands.com/location.html

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

If you're going 1 - 2 persons so it's better to go with Agency. Also you need to book in advance ,or check at this agent http://eng.barracudadive.com/

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Better to book through an agency for one of the established and recommended tour operators. The best and most recommended is Kuaraburi Greenview who have a better safety record than Barracuda.

This is particularly recommended if you are planning to stay overnight as they will book your accommodation, whether it is in a tent or a bungalow. Otherwise you have to book direct with the National Park which is messy. You can book Kuraburi through any agency locally to fit in with when you want to go and when weather conditions are favourable.

On a day trip, you are picked up at your resort and taken to the pier at Kuraburi for a quick drink and to be issued with your fins, snorkel and mask. You have one snorkel from the speedboat, then disembark on the island for lunch and another snorkel from another site where you are taken in a longtail boat. Again you snorkel from the boat. After returning to the island you and any others who have stayed overnight are returned to the speedboat for perhaps another snorkel before returning back to the pier at Kuraburi where you then join your minibus for transfer back to your resort.

On the speedboat there will be about 30 passengers, some of whom like yourself although good swimmers will be snorkelling for the first time, others like my wife is a non-swimmer but still snorkels with a guide. The guides on the boat will first instruct you on how to snorkel, issue you with a safety vest which keeps you afloat in the water and take you on your first snorkel until you are comfortable on your own. If you want the guide to stay with you he will. After a short while you will feel as though you have been doing it all your life! Just don't stray too far away from the boat.

See www.kuraburigreenviewresort.com/tours.html

Enjoy! The Surins are wonderful!

Beijing
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Thank you very much. I do wanna go with Kuaraburi Greenview, but they rarely reply my email, either is Seastar, so can not be reachable before I get there. And the price on their website is a little higher than my expectation. The problem is we have a really tight schedule. It will be midnight when we get Phuket, but we want to go to Surin the next day, so all the transportation and tour arrangement including from Phuket to Buraburi, and from pier to Surin, have to be settle down before we go to Thailand. We do not have time to communicate face-to-face with the local agency. And I do not know if Kuaraburi Greenview's 3-day-2-night package including picking us up from and sending back to Phuket or not. If not, the cost will increase a lot, because we do not have time to catch bus. I am really in loss, please give me some advice. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Seastar
Seastar
202 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Replying to Emails is not a strong point of many tour operators, and Kuraburi are one of worst offenders in my experience, hence I always recommend booking when visitors arrive when they generally find it cheaper too.

I had not appreciated that you would be travelling so quickly to the Surins or that you would be travelling from Phuket. I doubt very much that any tour operator will pick you up just afyer midnight so you would probably have to make your own way by private taxi to the pier at Kuraburi. Certainly the tour prices quoted on their website would not include transfers from and to Phuket. From the airport to the pier at Kuraburi will take about 3 hours and they usually depart from there at about 8.30am so I think you will be really struggling to get there on your first day.

Have a look here for a tour that picks up in Phuket and departs from Nam Kem pier which is hust north of Khao Lak and not as far as Kuraburi which would suit you better phuketeasytour.com/phuket-snorkeling/surin-i…

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Beijing
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Thank you. After writing several emails to them, Kuraburi greenreview finally replied, and offered pick-up and send-back service with a price. With so many good words of them, I am really looking forward to go snorkeling with them. And next time, I will go to Similan, and I may try Wicked Diving. Thank you again.

Mentioned in this post
Wicked Diving Khao Lak
Wicked Diving Khao Lak
509 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Beijing
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Thank you. I can not open their website, and I do not know why. Maybe because I am in China...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

Keep trying. Internet connection with Thailand often difficult.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Should I go to Surin with traveling agency or on my own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 15:48