We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
71 reviews
Hotels

Could someone who knows the area tell me the pros and cons of staying at Laguna on Nang Thong beach and Bayfront on ?Sunset beach. I am drawn to Bayfront because of price but will it cost a lot more by tuk-tuk to the restaurant and is the beach a lot smaller so limiting for a good long walk. I think the Laguna has restaurants just outside.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Hotels

The Bayfront is on Sunset Beach which is immediately adjacent to Nang Thong Beach on which the Laguna is the first resort. The Bayfront definitely has a better beach frontage than the Laguna where the beachfront accommodation overlooks a rocky area. There are just 3 resorts, 4 when the new Sensimar opens, in between the Bayfront and the Laguna and probably takes you 10 minutes to walk along the beach between each.

However, the Bayfront is half way down the highway as it drops down into the main township and it is better to use the walkway rather than the beach, particularly at night, if you are going into town for restaurants, bars and shops. The first ones you reach are actually opposite the Laguna which you will pass on the way then 5 - 10 minutes later you are are at the start of the strip with restaurants, bars and shops lining each side.

Some guests staying at the resorts on Sunset Beach chose to walk into town and catch a sang thaew (truck with covered area with seats in rear which are the main form of taxi in Khao Lak - no tuk tuks, well just 1 I think!). It will probably cost about 100 baht.

See map at khaolakyellowpages.com/wordpress/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Hotels

I had not realised you could walk from Sunset beach to Nang Thong beach I thought there was a headland inbetween and the fact that it would not take us long to get to the restuarant opposite the Laguna has made up my mind to go with Bayfront as there is a significant difference in the price. I have found it very difficult to decide on hotels and if you have any other suggestions I would be glad to hear them, we wanted to be right on the beach and not too expensive and not too far out, so near restaurants, most hotels seem to be full and we get there in four weeks time.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Hotels

The first beach you reach coming from Phuket is Khao Lak (South) Beach which just has a handful of resorts (e.g. Merlin, Emerald, Briza) and is separated by a headland from the remaining beaches. You need a shuttle or taxi to get into Bang La On.

The next beach is then Sunset Beach. As well as the Bayfront you could consider the Khao Lak Resort which is nearer to the Laguna. Beachfront or rooms near the pools by the beach are best.

Next is Nang Thong Beach. Try the Nang Thong Beach Resort (NTBR2) as is its sister resort Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1) both of which are very popular with Aussies as a search on the forum will show. Just beware that the renovation of the pool at NTBR1 is not yet complete (nearly there I understand) so check that or play safe and go for NTBR2. Both are great bungalow resorts in an excellent position on the beach and within easy walking distance of "Downtown Khao Lak".

World
Level Contributor
51 posts
4. Re: Hotels

I'm a bit confused now about walking distances, so, I hope you can help clarify, Arandora.

You mention Sunset Beach - Will staying in one of those hotels be within walking distance (and how long roughly will it take?) "downtown Khao Lak"?

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Hotels

Sunset Beach is the first beach you reach as you come over the hillside from Phuket. At the bottom of the hill where the road flattens out, Nang Thong Beach starts and runs parallel with the highway as it passes through Bang La On ("downtown Khao Lak").

From the top of the hill to the bottom is a lovely 20 minute or so walk down but obviously more strenuous going back up. I clocked it once and I think it is about 1.5km top to bottom but windy in parts. If you see the map referred to in my reply #1 you will see the resorts along Sunset Beach. Most have accommodation built among the trees down the hillside as well as by the beach, so those nearer the top take longer to walk into Bang La On and may not be suitable for those with walking difficulties. So many staying at the further resorts take a song thaew ride one way or both mainly because of the steepness of the hill.

World
Level Contributor
51 posts
6. Re: Hotels

Would the new Sensimar Hotel be on the top or close to the top of the hill? They are offering quite attractive prices, but, my mother can't handle steep inclines/declines very well, so, I might have to look at other hotels instead.

We would prefer to be within walking distance to Bang La On rather than relying on a song thaew, if possible.

Thanks Arandora!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Hotels

The Sensimar is at the bottom of the hill, in between the Khao Lak Resort and the Laguna. There is still an incline down from the highway to the Reception area but I can't confirm my recollection that it is not too steep or too long until we return in a few weeks as the construction site was closed off when we last saw it. From the highway into the begiining of the main "strip" of Bang La On is about a 10 minute walk but there are restaurants on the other side of the highway on the way. It is no further a walk into Bang La On than for those staying in the resorts on Nang Thong Beach.

World
Level Contributor
51 posts
8. Re: Hotels

A big thanks, Arandora! From your information, it sounds to still be a worthy option for us. Thank goodness it is not at the top of the hill - While we might need some exercise, we'd rather avoid huffing and puffing up a gigantic hill when on holidays!

Hope you enjoy your time in Khao Lak, and thanks for the info!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Hotels

It's a pity that your mother can't handle steep inclines but if you feel inclined (sorry) to take a walk up to the top of the hill, you first nearing the top will find a viewpoint offering the best view of the nothern Khao Lak coastline. There is a great restaurant just before you reach there that serves delicious but spicy Isan (Northern Thai) cuisine which offers similar views and is wonderful at sunset.

Then at the top is the HQ of the Khao Lak Lam Ru National Park (see http://www.khaolak.net/np/khaolak-lamru.html ). When you enter there is a path that takes you down among wild orchids and one that takes you to a restaurant that overlooks a small sandy beach, that is called, surprisingly, Small Sandy Beach. There is a path which is the only way other than by longtail boat you can reach this beach. Beware if you do go, go early morning or mid to late afternoon as it is an absolute sun trap and the sand gets too hot to walk on.

World
Level Contributor
51 posts
10. Re: Hotels

Sorry for the overload of questions about the national park, but, it sounds exactly like something we'd be interested in doing/seeing. We would love to do some not overly strenuous hiking and see waterfalls and just nature in general.

Is it difficult to walk in the national park, and are the paths clearly marked with signs (I assume it would be do-able without needing to join a day tour?)? Also, would there be an entry fee? Is the HQ like the beginning of the national park?

Also, do you know the name of the restaurant? I am trying to gather information about good restaurants, in particular, seafood ones. I have already noted Smile Khao Lak and Hilltribe, but would welcome any suggestions you can provide.

Thanks again, Arandora! You are an absolute gem, and I am trying to absorb all your information on this and other threads too. A lot to learn but so valuable, so thanks!

P.S. Sorry to Lyn93 for taking over your thread!

Edited: 16 October 2012, 07:07
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak