We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Beds on the Beach

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Sun Beds on the Beach

So sorry everyone for what may seem a silly question.

I was looking at accomodation in Khaolak and thought, Yipee it will be between

Ramada/La Flora/JW Marriott. I chose these because of the good reviews and lovely beach.

OK now my point and possibly silly question. One of the reviews regarding La Flora mentions having to pay for the Sun Loungers on the Beach,is this true of each of these Hotels. Not a major problem I know but if I know in advance then hopefully there won't be any surprises for me.

Also, of the Hotels mentioned what are your thoughts.

It is our 1st time in Thailand, we are staying 5 nights at ?Dusit Thani/Radisson Blu in Phuketalso, haven't decided which one yet!!. We are in our 50s lovely beaches and somewhere local to go out for drinks/food are important.

Thanks for any help and answering my questions

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

Hi,

You don't mention when you are thinking of going as the season (High/Dry - November to April or Low/Wet - rest of year) will determine weather, prices and in which areas beach restaurants close.

The Ramada and La Flora are next door to each other on the best and widest part of Bang Niang Beach within easy walking distance in all directions of Restaurants, Bars and Shops. See latest map at http://www.t3x.de/khaolak/BNiangBLaOn.htm

The JWM is on beautiful but more remote Khuk Khak Beach with a row of beach restaurants adjacent and a couple more near the main entrance. The Main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On are 10 and 15 minutes away respectively by shuttle or taxi. See map at walagata.com/w/…Khao_Lak_North_April_2010.jpg

I'm surprised about your reference to a review of La Flora saying guests have to pay for the use of sun loungers. Although some beach restaurants/bars make a nominal charge for the use of a lounger plus sunshade, this is often waived if you stay and have a meal or a drink or a massage. I'm not aware of any resort in Khao Lak that charges guests for the use of sun beds. A criticism I've read from some is that the loungers at the La Flora are set rather closely together.

Strictly speaking throughout Thailand loungers should not be put in rows on beaches but that is neither enforced or respected in other places like Phuket. In Khao Lak, with one noticeable exception (White Sand Beach particularly in the Peak Period) resorts, beach restaurants and bars respect this and restrict their loungers to the edge of their property with one row or two at most on the beach, leaving most of it empty for the enjoyment of the public at large since all beaches in Thailand are public beaches.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

Hi Arando

Maybe the reviewer did use a beach Bar, Thank you so much for the prompt response, and for not saying it was a silly question :)

We are visiting in January. I am leaning more towards the JWM at the moment. OK another silly question, are Sand Fleas an issue there. I got bitten to pieces whilst in Jamaica within a minute of stepping on the Sand, and it sounds like the Restaurants in KhaoLak are on the Beach,

Thank You, you are a Star!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

January is High Season and one of best months for weather and one of most popular ones for visitors. As for sand flies we've not been affected personally nor heard of any on the Khao Lak beaches and certainly not on the ones you are considering. They can be a problem on the small island of Koh Kho Khao about 25km north of Khao Lak which is popular for day tours or short stays. The only times we have been bit were also in Jamaica and by the "noseeums" in Florida.

Actually my Avatar is shortened from Arandora Star which was the first luxury liner to the Caribbean but was commandeered during World War II as a transport and was torpedoed by a German U-Boat when carrying German and Italian POWs. One of early cases of "friendly fire".

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

I stayed at La Flora and definitley did NOT have to pay for the sunloungers.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

midlands1stime

Do you happen to have a link to the review you mentioned? Would be interested to read it.

Cheers

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

Hi Arandora, just looked up the comments and my apologies right name wrong resort. I was looking at the La Flora Resort in Patong. Duh......

Oh well at least that puts my mind at ease. Thanks again for your help

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

Ah, that makes sense - regrettably!!! :-(

8. Re: Sun Beds on the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak