We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have 19 days in Thailand. Our focus is primarily snorkeling, little shopping, some culture, less touristy locations, 3-4 star kind of budget.

We are going to Ko Chang for 5 days to start, and planning a few days for Bangkok and Ayuttaya etc. before we fly to Krabi.

I was planning to spend 5 days of our trip on Ko Lanta for the snorkeling trips and laid back appeal. Then I discovered the snorkeling in the Similians and the trips available from Khao Lak.

Is the snorkeling different enough between the two to make the extra journey worthwhile. Spending time on both would mean no time for Krabi, and less flexibility for our Bangkok portion.

Would anyone recommend one over the other?

I've currently booked a cancelleable reservation at the Khaolak Bhandari in Khao Lak, and the Sayang Beach on Koh Lanta.

Given how much time is lost travelling and settling into hotels, I prefer not to visit too many destinations.

Thanks for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ko Lanta
Ko Lanta
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khaolak Bhandari Resort and Spa
Khaolak Bhandari Resort...
798 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

When are you going, snorkelling trips from both are seasonal - November to April.

We've done Koh Rok from Lanta and Similan from Khao Lak, both are great day trips, both similar in snorkelling quality.

Lanta is probably a bit more laid back of the two destinations. We love both and are about to head back to Nang Thong Beach at Khao Lak for a couple of weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Yes we are going in November. Hoping for the better weather by postponing this portion of our trip to later in the month. That's the reason for going to Ko Chang 1st, and doing Bangkok in between. Even though its a 5 hr journey each way to Ko Chang.

Hope my reasoning is on there.

Is it as expensive at Khao Lak as Phuket or Phi Phi?

Mentioned in this post
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,417 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Don't know about Phi Phi but Khao Lak is no more expensive than Phuket, cheaper in some places. You are staying at the Bhandari so are just a few minutes away up the road from the beach to the centre of Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak where there is the highest number of restaurants, bars and shops.

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Hi Julie.

Have snorkelled in the Similan Islands a couple of years back in February and it was absolutely brilliant.

Don't miss it if you have the chance.

PS. I also believe the Surin islands are just as nice or even better?????

Cheers Bob.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,192 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Hi Julie,

K Lanta is good for all the islands close by for day trips and snorkeling,

Three island trip etc but The Similans are far better ( this is my opinion only )

I love. K Lanta it's a fantastic destination in its self and the beaches are to die for .

But so are KL beaches ( but better snorkeling ) but not of shore.

Krabi is also nice ( a little to much built up for me now ) but I can't comment

On snorkeling trips ( 25 yrs ago it was gorg ! )

Enjoy your trip it's all amazing.

Ps my little sis lives in Horse shoe bay and loves it.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

Having visited the majority of Thai islands over the years, I would agree with the other posts that our experience is that the snorkelling from Khao Lak as a base is currently one of the best (apart from on Koh Tao 16 years ago!) and you will have lots of trips to choose from.

Is there any particular reason you are wanting to visit Koh Chang? We visited Koh Chang a few years ago, having already found Koh Lanta, Khao Lak and Phi Phi, and it is our least favourite island as the beaches are not at all like the long sandy stretches you find elsewhere and there is not that much to do on the island.

One of the advantages of Khao Lak is that there are lots of places to visit and things to do if you have as spell of rain and loads of local restaurants to try out in the evenings, which are significantly less expensive than Phuket.

Enjoy your hoilday!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
7. Re: Worthwhile visitng Khao Lak and Ko Lanta for Snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak