We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Surf

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Khao Lak Surf

Just to prove there is surfing in Khao Lak - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKMFkzA7oY

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
1 review
1. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Loved watching Lee enjoying the surf south of Khaolak light beacon during July/August this year. Definitely a man with great passion and dedication. :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
873 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Mo from the Rusty Pelican is setting up a surf outfit to teach beginners. He was in the early stages of setting it up when I last saw him in April 2012.

Pop into the bar to have a chat with him if anyone's interested.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Good luck to Mo but there are "surf schools" in Khao Lak already - see tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c178716/Kha…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak Surf

A small guide to the surfing location in the video....The vid begins with Lee surfing at Nang Thong Beach south of the light house...

Then a caption will say..."going right at the corner"...or similar words...The Corner is the furthermost reef break out at Cape Pakarang....About a 750-800 kilometer walk to the lagoon,then about a 100 meter paddle to the actual peak of the break..The day he was videod was a small 2 foot day,however this wave can be ridden for up to 300 meters....From the carpark,Corner doesn't even look like it is breaking at that size,being almost a kilometer away....

Then,3/4 of the way thru the video,Lee is surfing north side of the light house @ Nang Thong Beach....

also I think there is a bit of Pakarang Beach thrown in there too....

My favorite break is also at Cape Pakarang...it is called and named by an Aussie legend who passed away in the 2004 tragedy....This location is Taxi's,a reef break almost directly out front and to the right of the tsunami tower....A long 250-300 meter paddle off the beach and surfed only at high tide for obvious rocky reasons....A beautiful wave but quite fickle relying on favourable winds and a decent swell....

There is another video on Youtube which shows waves breaking out on a remote reef...This is due south outside of Tap Lamu Harbour...An Indoish looking wave and area,however an incredibly long breaking wave over a rock shelf....

Tap Lamu and Pakarang are only for the experienced because of location and rocky bottoms....

Ban Naam Khem also has a wonderful sand bottom wave on the southern side of the river entrance.....For the adventurous surf seeker....

Gee whiz...!!...You can't half tell I love surfing the Khao Lak area....

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Hi Cocotang,

I can see that you know a lot about surfing in Khao Lak. My husband and I are planning on visiting Khao Lak in August for surfing / SUP-ing (we hope to hire boards). I'd love some suggestions on a good location to stay near the surf (mid range plus). Also, can we get around without a motor bike?

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak Surf

cocotang will advise on best surf spots but do you want your accommodation to be right on the doorstep or are you prepared to travel there? When you say mid-range plus an idea of your budget would help identify accommodation wherever he advises best surf spots will be. In Wet (low) Season you can get accommodation for half or less than in High Season so it depends whether you want to spend on better accommodation or less costly but still good value and use the saving for getting about and generally enjoying yourselves. This would help you avoid the risks associated with riding scooters, which you need to be qualified to drive and will not be insured with the rental.

Here is a comprehensive list of accommodation throughout Khao Lak www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm and here is a link to a map of the area showing the various locations khaolakyellowpages.com/wordpress/…

I presume you have read the FAQ on the right "What are TOP THINGS in Khao Lak incl GOLF, WALKS, ELEPHANT TREKS and SURFING?" and in particular the reference to this Traveller Article tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c178716/Kha…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Hi HT...My first trip to Khao Lak,I stayed @ The Palm Galleria Resort on Cape Pakarang....This is the closest accomodation to my favourite breaks,however there are no shops,beach restaurants are closed during low season so absolutely nothing to do in this area other than surf,that's if the swell is up and the wind is low.....The PG is a great 3 star resort with fabulous pool and nice breakfast and the staff are really nice too....However,one must either commission a taxi to and from wherever you wish to go which could work out quite expensive by the end of your hols....We rented a salaeng(3 wheeler scooter)..However,I have to mention that a riders licence is a given...You do require a riders licence and helmets....

The Apsarus Resort is on Pakarang Beach,however is the farthest resort south of Pakarang.....Memories/Pakarang surf shop is across the creek from The Apsarus...Access to Memories is easy at low tide...A mere ankle to knee depth wade across the creek and then about a 100 meter walk up the beach or you can cross the Apsarus's bridge....Memories/Pakarang surf shop rent out boards short,medium and long....Check out Memories.com....Sorry don't know board rental prices..??...More than likely,Ching and the boys will go surf with you if its pumping....Then again,they'll probably go if it aint too.....

Andrew and Mark @ Siamsurfdogs rent out SUP's....The last time I knew,Andrew's place was down the street or the turnoff just before the Pakarang turnoff of the highway heading north....Be easier to visit his siamsurfdogs website to get more info....

Both Siamsurfdogs and Pakarang surf rent out scooters with board carrying racks making it so easy to go from break to break.....

We spent 10 days @ Palm Galleria,then we moved to Nang Thong Bay Resort 1 in Bang La On....On the beach and in the heart of town....So much more to do here.....And the beach directly out front of NTBR has the most consistent,best shaped beach waves in the region....

Boards can be rented off Lee....He is always surfing at Nang Thong so he can be found there....Long blonde haired surfer looking dude...!!

Back to Cape Pakarang : Which has 4 main reef breaks....Coming to the T intersection of Pakarang Road and beach road,the first thing you see is the tsunami tower...As mentioned,Taxi's is out front of that...I find Taxi's is comparable with Three's reef in Waikiki,so if you have surfed Three;s,Taxi's is very similar....The next break heading north about 1 1/2-2 kilometers,still on Cape Pakarang is(I think it's called?)Turtles,obviously because of the large turtles swimming in this area and surfed at mid tide going high....My second favourite break(left hander).

About 500 meters north is Tree....Break identified by a single solitary tree directly in front of the break,however this tree was down last time I was there....Tree is a nice left hand reef break but does not have the direct swell power of Turtles and surfed at mid to high......Then another 500 meters or so north is The Corner reef break which on it's day can be super long - 300 meter rides possible...However,it has about the same power as Tree as the swell tends to wrap rather than hit head on....Corner tends to be more favourable and longer rides when it is around 2-3 feet...Any larger and it goes weirdly beserk...??.....

Distance from Palm Galleria to Taxi's is about a 150 meter walk....Distance to the other 3 reefs is about 2-3 kilometers...A long walk in the hot sun....!!

Nang Thong Bay Resort to Cape Pakarang car park is about a 20 minute drive/ride.....I have lots more information about access to all breaks which can be difficult unless you have local knowledge....Go surfing....!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Oh wow, thats looks so cool.

I was on the verge of booking koh tao for a week in august but to hell with the weather I gotta get back to Khao lak!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Do you surf Mark g.....??.....

Forgot to mention the Tap Lamu break....This break can only be reached via long tail boat or similar......Charges I would imagine would be around the 1500-2000 baht mark for 3-4 hours....We paid 800 baht for 4 hours but one of us knew the boat owner.....it's very likely if you befriend the locals and visiting surfers that you could band together to pay the boat fee and surf this place....

Upon reaching the break,it looks a heck of a lot like Indo and breaks along a rock ledge for ages(ala Uluwatu).....Only for experienced surfers as it is in the middle of nowhere....However,when this wave is up to 6 feet,It is the best wave in Thailand....Just have to get all the elements working for this to happen....

There is footage on Youtube of this place...I think it was shot by Ching(Memories from a long tail....This day it looked about 1-1 1/2 feet max...However,just notice how long the wave breaks for.....Extra long wave....!!!....We surfed it around 2 feet and had a ball....!!

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Khao Lak Surf

Thanks to Arandora and Cocotang - and apologies for jumping onto an old post. You have provided fantastic information! We now wish we were staying for longer - but maybe next time.

Firstly, by mid range accommodation, I probably mean (for Thailand, low season) around AUD50 plus - but most importantly, we like a place that's not too big, has a "local" feel, maybe a pool..... As we are not motor bike riders, location close to some surf would be best, although we are happy to travel to more distant surf sometimes- had a look at Nang Thong Bay Resort, which looks great.

Thanks again, especially for all of the surf info.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak